The Old Me

I wanted her gone. I didn't want to talk to anyone, but how did she know that Hayes was gone. "How do you know that Hayes is gone?" I crossed my arms. "Oh, my sweet darling, it's Hades. He is a god, like me. Like you. Or are still going by the name that mortal gave you?" Danielle said it condescendingly. I seriously told the love of my life to leave me, so that I could build a relationship with this woman, I thought to myself. "You do not get to talk about my mom like that!" Demeter smacked her lips, "You're such a child." I rolled my eyes, "Can you just tell me how you know Hades is gone, so that you can leave." "I was with Zeus, preparing for our move to New Mount, making plans. You know what villains do and he felt the magic of his brother return to the Underworld." "You know calling yourself a 'villain' defeats the purpose of actually being one." Now Demeter was the one rolling her eyes. "You can leave now." "I will leave, but just between us girls why didn't you leave with him?" She said as she gave me menacingly grin. "Goodbye, Demeter." I pushed her out the door and slammed it. 

I wanted to go back to sleep, I couldn't stop thinking about what she meant when she said she was making plans like a villain. I went to make myself a lavender tea, the same flavor as the one I made when I fell into the pool and Hayes tried to save me. I wanted to feel close to him. Then I started thinking about what Hayes was doing in the Underworld. Who was he with? Was he thinking about me too? And for a second, I started regretting making him leave. 

"Hey, Stephanie!" I heard from a familiar voice behind me. I jumped in fear and I turned around to find Hermes sitting on Hades's bed. "Hermes what are you doing here?! I could have been naked!" "Relax, Stephanie." He kept talking, "I heard that Hades is gone." "Demeter already came here to ask why I didn't leave so if you're here to do the same then you can leave." He got up and walked over to me. I didn't want to cry in front of Hermes, but I couldn't stop myself. I started sobbing. "Stephy, don't cry." He held me in his arms. 

I finally let go of him, "You know you're going to see him again." I wiped away my tears, "I know, but it still hurts." We sat down and Hermes held my hand, "Then why didn't you go with him, Stephy?" "We needed a break. I didn't want to hurt him anymore and he needed to go to the Underworld." He quickly got up, "Then what the hell are you doing here by yourself? If you want help then let's go get some help!" "What are you talking about?" He grabbed my hand and pulled me up from the bed, "We are doing something tonight. I will call Aphrodite, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, and Dionysus!" "We can't leave New Mount. And even if I wanted to, I don't want to." "No! I won't let you stay here by yourself and did you forget that you broke the curse? We can leave this hell hole of a town! Listen we are going to out one last time. Before, you know, we all resume our lives as immortal, ancient gods on Mount Olympus, and we can pretend like this never happened." I got up from the bed and leaned closely towards Hermes, and I stared into his eyes, "Stephanie, stop. You're scaring me. What's wrong?" "How are you all so okay with this?" I kept talking, "I mean- How are you all fine with your powers? Fine with this immense power? Fine with my mother and Zeus not paying consequences for their actions? I don't know if I can just 'pretend like it never happened' especially when Hades isn't here." Without any hesitation Hermes wrapped his long arms around me and hugged me tightly. I felt a tear fall down my face. He whispered in my ear, "The truth is nobody is fine. We are all figuring it out as we go. As for Zeus and Demeter, I'm sure they will pay. But Stephy, listen, I ensure you that Rome won't burn if you have fun for once. And Hades will still be in hell when we get back." 

I agreed to go out with everyone that night. 

Hermes left so that I could get ready for the night out. I had no clue what they were planning on doing, but part of me was willing to get drunk enough to forget that Hades and I were apart, for now. I found one of Hades's silk button up shirts and I wore it as a dress with a corset on top and with black tights underneath. I put on some closed-toes platforms that I had in my suitcase. When I walked over to the bathroom mirror to do my hair, I looked at myself in the mirror. I stared into my snowy, colorless eyes with the black rings around them that separated my irises from the rest of the white. I started worrying about how inhuman I looked. I still had a slight sparkle tint to my skin and the roots of the flowers in my hair were growing out of head, and that was noticeable. I looked down and focused on my magic. On how I wanted to look like myself again, not this person, or goddess, I didn't recognize. I looked up again and my eyes were a chocolate brown again, there were no flowers in my hair and my skin had no sparkle. This magic felt different though. It felt as if every second I kept this facade of my old face up, my magic was being drained. I ignored it. I did my makeup and my hair as usual.

I got a text from Hermes to meet at Aphrodite's apartment. I teleported there as soon as I got it. Once my feet were back on the ground and I looked up to find Hermes staring at me. "Wow, that was quick." Aphrodite and Dionysus ran over to me. Aphrodite gave me a huge hug while Dionysus gently rubbed my back. As she was hugging me I noticed that Athena, Apollo, and Artemis were in the back. They had all taken a paper out of my playbook because they all looked as their human selves. Artemis without her antlers and Hermes without his winged feet. Aphrodite whispered, "I heard what happened, well we all heard what happened. I'm so sorry. But this isn't a goodbye from him forever, right?" Even the faint mention of his name brought tears to my eyes. I let go of Aphrodite and I tried to wipe my tears away without ruining my makeup. "No, it's not, but it does feel like it," I responded to Aphrodite. I took a deep breath, "No more tears though. I'm done with crying." Aphrodite smiled. "Yes! Let's have fun and get drunk!" Dionysus yelled out. Hermes walked over to us, "Of course you'd be the one to say that." I looked over at Hermes, "And of course you'd be the one to tell everyone my business." Aphrodite and Dionysus busted out laughing. "Hey! In my defense that is one of my specialities. Sorry not sorry!" Hermes added. Athena, Apollo, and Artemis quickly walked over to us. Athena reached out her hand to mine and grabbed it. It caught me off guard because she never seemed as the affection type, even less now. "Persephone-" I interrupted her, "Please. Call me, Stephanie." "Of course, Stephanie, I wanted to say how sorry I am for my actions. I regret treating you badly." I let go of her hand, "Thank you." Artemis hugged me. They were all starting to overwhelm me. I didn't want them to pity me. "I'm sorry, too. This is all the fault of Zeus and Demeter." Apollo smacked his lips, "Don't bring them up on the night we're going to have fun. Let's forget about them!" Artemis stood beside her brother again. I looked at Hermes and Aphrodite, "Exactly what are we doing tonight?" They both looked at each other and smirked.