24. The Follower Is Nice (Danail)

The Capital. A city so ancient that no one knows exactly when it was founded and so beautiful that whoever set foot there once, can never forget it. It was my ultimate goal during the war, so elusive that I had never deluded myself I would ever reach it. And yet, here I am, half way across the enormous stone bridge, leading to the gates of my destiny. I'm not coming as a conqueror, but I still hope to win the most worshiped man alive. I hope to leave this place with The Chosen by my side, awarded the most forbidden prize. I am ready to die trying.

   Prince Dai Stial leads his white mare ahead in a light trot, leaving the caravan behind. His posture is upright, full of grace and dignity. The wind is waving his golden hair. His blood red robe can't be mistaken. The silver embroidery is sparkling in the sun.

   He raises his hand and shouts, "Dai Saili! Missah Daan Unufrail! San distaah!" (God bless you! Welcome your King Unufrail! Open the gates!)

   The monstrous, two feet thick, wooden wings start moving slowly, creaking and scraping. The three white sky divers are hanging in the bright blue sky, above the high watch towers. The wider the gap, the clearer becomes the unimaginable noise, coming from the other side.

   The gate is finally wide open and an explosion of colors, music and euphoric exclamations erupt before us. The broad, paved road is surrounded by a thick crowd. Silk, gold and silver attires are mixed with a whirlwind of rose petals, like a scented mist around us.

   Screams can be heard from all directions. "Sola! Dai Sailai!" (Beloved! Give us your blessing!) Every person is begging the prince to bless them, holding out flowers, fruit baskets and bolts of silk cloth, asking him to touch them. The children tear away from their parent's hands and pile around Sai's horse, pushing each other in an attempt to kiss the hem of his robe. The uproar is beyond belief. The rose petals get tangled in our hair, fly into our mouths and blur our vision. I suspect there are some even in my pants. I don't see how the caravan will reach the fabulous, fairy palace which is rising at the end of the road.

   Sai raises his hand again and suddenly there is complete silence. The whole crowd falls to their knees, clearing the road.

   "My dear friends, I will not miss to bless each one of you." His melodic voice is strong and clear. "We have guests. I have found my follower. Rejoice and celebrate because the war is over."

   The crowd erupts again in rapturous shouts and applause.

   Sai approaches and bends to my ear, "This will take hours, my love. Go to the palace. Father will take care that you all have food and proper rest. I'll see you at the ceremony."

   "Sola," a sweet child's voice sings nearby. We see a cute little boy, no more than six, beaming at us. "Is this The Follower? Is it true that he is The Sand Snake and has an enormous monster that can eat us all?"

   "No one will be eaten, my sweet. There's nothing to be afraid of. This is prince Dai Danail and the rest," Sai chuckles, "is true."

   The boy screams excitedly, "Can The Follower be touched?"

   Sai nods, "Only if he allows it."

   I hold out my hand, moved by the child's big, pleading eyes. He immediately grabs it and starts rubbing his cheek on my palm.

   "Forgive us, My Lords," a nervous woman picks him up in her arms. "He's too curious."

   "The Follower's monster is a good one and he's nice," the boy yells, making his mother shake her head reproachfully while receding with a bow.

   I suspected that there would be a lot of people with their children, so I left Harda with Tar to wait for us outside the city walls. I see now that it was a very good idea.

   The caravan slowly passes us by. "Come, my son," King Unufrail pats my shoulder. "Sai will be with us later."

   We proceed towards the palace. I peek over my shoulder. My prince has gotten off the mare and is standing, surrounded by children, sitting cross legged at his feet. Everyone approaches him in a strict order and he touches the object that the person is holding out, the sweet smile never leaving his face. People keep throwing handfuls of rose petals in the air. Soon I see only a silhouette in the rose mist.

   "I know what you intend to do." I'm startled by King Unufrail's voice. He's riding next to me. "You're not like your father. He has love in him, but doesn't know how to show it. Your love is pouring out of you in thick streams and can be felt by everyone around you. I am proud of you, son. I've always known that you'll take all the goodness from your beautiful mother and the best from my stubborn friend. I will be honored to give you anything you claim. You have my support. Try to forgive your father. There are some things that he just can't put up with. Never doubt that he cares about you."

   "I've already heard this about him," I smile sadly. "Thank you, My Lord!"

   "Now, be my guest and take a good rest. We will need all our strength tonight," he nods.

   The caravan stops in the middle of the big square, in front of the main entrance of the royal palace. It is an impressive, five-storey, cone-shaped building, covered in exquisite ornamentation in red, blue and golden. The upward curved roofs on every level are decorated with complex wood carving of flower braids and statues of mythical animals. Every detail is of exceptional beauty.

   The royal guard and the entire household are waiting for us, lined up in neat rows, surrounding a beautiful woman in emerald robe, covered with gold and diamonds. There's no doubt that this is the queen. The face of my companion brightens and a wide smile spreads on his lips.

   "My lovely Salia," he exclaims, jumping from the horse. "I don't know how I survived without you for so long."

   Queen Salia beams and her smile can overshadow the sun. She disappears in the open arms of her husband.

   The order is ruined the next moment when all the princesses spill out of the carts and invade the space, screaming and laughing, hugging their mother and the courtiers, giggling and chattering, impatient to tell anyone who is willing to listen, about their incredible adventures during The Cross.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 24!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Did you like the welcome in the capital? 😀

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny