2 - our song

The song above will be played later in the chapter

The song above will be played later in the chapter. Please feel free to listen along when that part comes, it'll help picture the scene better!

My body stood in front of the mirror, admiring my appearance as a deep red, silk dress clung to my body perfectly

My body stood in front of the mirror, admiring my appearance as a deep red, silk dress clung to my body perfectly. It sat just above the knee as I paired it with a black pair of heels. Since she owns the only hair salon in town, Ellie lightly curled my hair to perfection as I applied light makeup.

"abbastanza buono (good enough)" I smiled at my reflection as my bedroom door swung open. Aria comes running in, her dark blue dress twirling as she spins round in circles. "We are princesses, momma!" She said excitedly as I smile widely to myself at the beauty she was already exuding, despite being only three.

"Yes we are, il mio amore (my love)" I smiled down to her. "Why are we dressed up though?" She asked, looking up at me, eyes filled with curiosity. "Remember that big party we went to last year at the country club? It's called a charity ball, Ree." I told her, gripping her small hand in mine as we walked downstairs.

She sat on the bottom step as I helped put her shoes on. "Everyone in Hayfields goes to raise money for Uncle Antonio's job, remember?" I tell her as she smiles in accomplishment.

"Uncle Toni works with sick kids, right?" Aria asked as I nod in agreement. My father was very passionate about helping people less fortunate than us when he was here, he still does back in Italy. But, when they left, Antonio took over my dads position.

He helps raise money for a children's hospital just outside our town which tries to offer help to sick kids, even to those who's families don't have medical insurance. So Hayfields does annual charity balls to raise money for them. After all, Hayfields is a town filled with big houses like ours, and big wallets.

"Wow!" Antonio's voice echoed through the house as he walks through the front door unannounced. Wasn't a rare occurrence. "Uncle Toni!" Aria yelled, sprinting to him as he scoops her up in his arms. "Beautiful doesn't even come close!" He says, smiling at her as the three of us walk out the house.

I lock up as Antonio fastens Aria up in the grand black car he hired for the evening. Inside already waiting was Antonio's wife, Hannah, and their two children, Carlos (who was 5) and Sophia (who was two).

Aria loved spending time with her cousins. They were almost like siblings which always warmed my heart whenever they would interact, have sleepovers, play out by the lake in the summer.

The whole ride to the country club was filled with laughter. "So..elephant in the room.." Hannah started. "I hear Trent is back in town." She says, making me tense up slightly.

"Since when!?" Antonio hissed and I nodded, showing him I was equally as frustrated as he was. "Since yesterday apparently. Grace told me he stopped by her work." I informed him.

The car came to a stop outside the front of the country club. I unbuckled Aria from her seat as she hopped down giddily. "If I see him, I swear.." Antonio spoke quietly to me, his teeth gritted together as I chuckled. "We're here for the kids, brother."

Walking through the grand doors into the bustling hall, everyone's eyes fluttered in our direction. After greeting many people, we made our way over to our table, where Grace, Ellie and Hudson were all already waiting for us to arrive.

"Damn, Romano. You don't look homeless." Hudson joked, making me playfully hit him in the arm. "Don't lie to yourself, Hudson. I always look good!" I joke and we both laugh with each other.

Aria bolts over, leaping into Hudson's lap as his arms instinctively wrap around her as her back rests against his chest. "And you, Little Romano, are the prettiest angel I've ever seen!" He tells her as she simply nods. "I know." Aria says bluntly making everyone laugh at her confidence.

"She's definitely your daughter." Grace chuckled as I nod. "What can I say? Confident is key." I retorted as laughter continues to echo around us.

Mr Rhodes, the owner of the country club, walks on stage, stopping in front of the microphone. "Good evening, people of Hayfields. And welcome to another year of the charity ball. We all know why we're here, so let's keep that at the forefront of tonight's events."

He scans the room, looking excited. "This year, however, we are so blessed to have some live entertainment for you guys! Hayfields very own, ladies and gentlemen! Born and raised in this small town in Texas, only to blossom into a global sensation. I'm very proud to introduce.."

My heart dropped at Mr Rhodes' speech, everyone around me falling silent. "..Trent Donovan!" The whole crowd erupts into cheers and applause. Aria looks around and starts clapping too, not knowing what else to do. But the rest of us kind of just sat there.

My eyes were fixated on the stage as he walked on, guitar in hand as he smiled and waved out to the crowd. "Umm..thanks for having me here tonight. It's for a good cause, which is why I'll be donating too. But for now, I want to play you guys the song which got me into music to begin with."

Whilst scanning the room, his eyes eventually landed on mine. He held eye contact, studying my face as he looked lost in nostalgia. "I..um..I hope you enjoy." He said before he began playing.

From the first few notes he strummed on his guitar, I knew what song it was. It was our song. The song he always played to me. He swore that he would play it at our wedding one day. It used to me the melody which brought me peace. Now, seeing him eight years later, I had no idea how to feel.

The dance floor filled with couples, swaying to the music. "Are you ok?" Hudson leaned and whispered in my ear and I nodded, hiding my conflicted thoughts as I forced a smile to my face. "Yeah."

"Momma can you dance with me?" Aria asked, happiness sparkling in her eyes. I couldn't say no to her. So I picked her up and we headed onto the dance floor. I felt Trent's eyes follow me onto the dance floor as I stopped in the centre. I placed Aria down, crouching down slightly as she gripped both of my hands.

She danced with me to the slow music, her little body swaying to the song. I couldn't erase the proud smile that stretched its way across my face as she looked so happy. I looked up from Aria, my eyes meeting his. Trent kept singing intensely, not looking away from me.

The song came to an end as the crowd once again erupted into a loud applause. Aria jumped around excited, her hands clapping together which made me giggle.

"Thankyou. That song it..umm..it means a lot to me. Especially being here. Holds a lot of memories." Trent says, staring at me as I scoop Aria back into my arms. I roll my eyes at him as we both walk back to the table.

There we go! The first sight of each other after eight years

Will it be a warm welcome? I doubt it!