~ fourtyone ~

┍━━━━━━━☮︎︎━━━━━━━┑
Fourty-one
┕━━━━━━━☮︎︎━━━━━━━┙
Tw: panic and anxiety attacks, manipulation, toxicity

"we've noticed you're mental health—declining these days" Mom explains, "we think that the PC may have something to do with this"

"wait—hold on..." I blink, trying to figure out what they're saying, "why do you think the PC's doing anything?"

"well we just... have suspicions...you seem down a lot more, and whenever you get home you go straight to that computer, or go straight to that phone—or to your friend's house"

"well because—" I hesitate, I could mess this up in so many ways.

Don't seem spoiled.

Don't seem ungrateful.

Don't seem too oblivious.

Don't make yourself the victim.

Don't patronize them.

"because I enjoy doing those things—?" the second I say it, I can see the flash of disappointment reach my parents eyes.

"electronics bring you joy?" Dad says with disbelief, "Vee are you listening to yourself right now?"

No I'm not, I'm too busy worrying about what I should say to not mess up.

"what are you trying to say?" I mutter, I can feel my mind start to race faster.

"we're taking away electronics" Mom says quickly, "and for right now...you're grounded"

My breathing starts to quicken, but I keep my composure, "w-what?"

"We think that maybe if you have a cleansing of sorts—it will get you out of this—decline in mood" Dad expresses,

"I don't understand—" I mutter, still very confused.

"for right now...we wanna start with a month—or two—And then we'll see how it goes..."

"a month—I don't see how this h-helps?" I stutter, my hands start to shake, and I try my best to hide them, but it's obvious they can tell I'm freaking out,

"this reaction just proves our point, you're addicted Vee" Mom frowns, "this'll help, trust us"

I attempted to say something, but whatever I thought of would just make them more disappointed in me.

"We need your phone" Dad opens his hand, and I stare at it, unable to move.

"Vee...this isn't helping your case" Mom says calmly, "just give him the phone"

I sigh shakily before pulling out my phone, handing it to my father, "So, no devices, and no leaving the house to hang out with friends for right now. You can go to school of course, but other than that..."

"why can't I hang out with f-friends?" My mind instantly drifted to Ranboo.

"they're a distraction, you need to focus on yourself for right now" said Dad,

"I still don't understand—"

"Keira talked to us" Mom sighed, "She's worried for you Vee, she's worried that you're not doing well mentally"

"but she—" I try to defend myself, before realizing that my parents would never believe me, "She's—not my friend anymore"

"so who are your friends Vee?" Dad asks, "the online people you talk to?"