Chapter 10

Kayano Mayumi

Yumi often went riding whenever she could. Sometimes, she brought along a bow and arrow to practice her aiming while riding. The trail already had trees engraved with a target pattern, as she already done this many times before.

She rode early in the morning if she wanted to do archery while riding. She knew that no one else rode at that time, as all the horses would be in the stables. There would be no chance of an accident.

Of course, every arrow Yumi shot landed on the bullseye mark.

The only downside to doing this activity is that Yumi was also responsible in retrieving all the arrows she used. Can't have arrows freely available to grab.

Climbing the up the tree of the highest and most difficult target, she pulled the arrow out and put it in her quiver. She observed the deep imprint of the bullseye mark, as she consistently shot her arrow there. She became prideful at her consistency.

Walking throughout the trail, Mayumi collected all the arrows. Coming to the last target she was surprised to see the missing. Yumi knew she hit the target, and that she hadn't retrieved it yet. Her quiver had 19 out of 20 arrows, the last one should be here.

The last arrow Yumi was looking for landed on the ground. Her eyes followed how the tail was pointing up the neighboring tree.

"You should be careful when you practice your archery, you could possibly hit another rider," Akashi critiqued.

Yumi took the final arrow from the ground and put in her quiver, "That's why I do it early in the morning, when no one else rides."

"I'm riding."

"Not before, what's the sudden change of schedule? It looks like you're trying to go riding the same time I do. Do you really want to go horse riding with me?"

Akashi jumped down, "Don't flatter yourself." He whistled his white horse to come to his side. He mounted and went back to the trail. "Are you coming or not?"

Yumi didn't expect the invitation, "Oh! Uh, sure." She walked up to her cream colored horse and joined Akashi in a horse riding session.

Most the of the ride was complete silence between them. "So," Yumi broke the silence getting a glance from the crimson haired rider next to her, "What got you into horse riding?"

"The more skills I master the more I am given to master," he replied.

"Your father?" Akashi didn't answer. "Your silence tells me 'yes.' I guess it makes sense, you are the only child to uphold the Akashi name. You have to obtain all the skills to hold your reputation."

He hummed in agreement and then questioned, "Is it the same with you?"

Yumi admitted to be happy carrying a conversation instead of having silence. She answered, "I guess so, people like us are raised to be 'perfect,' right? At least close to it."

Her answer caused a brief moment of silence from the male rider before he replied, "Right."

The snow-white haired girl glanced at the rider next to her. She wandered if that orange emperor eye was there. Or, more so, she wandered who made that reply.

Akashi seemed to know what she wanted and turned his face to her reveal the color of his left eye. It was maroon, same as the his right eye. "How come you change so much?" She couldn't help asking.

"I never changed, I am simply at another state of mind."

"So he knows about his two personalities...." Of course he knew, Akashi knows everything, real or not. "How would I know you won't change back to being the emperor?"