Chapter 29

Kayano Mayumi

The sound of a confetti bomb jolted the birthday girl up.

"Here ye, here ye!" Mine announced after Taro popped the confetti bomb, "Happy Birthday to Mayumi!"

Yumi flopped down back to her bed in relief, "It's just you two......."

"Is that how you greet your beloved nii-san and best friend?" Taro scolded, "Come on, get up! Kaa-san even made breakfast!"

Yumi sat back up, "WHAT?!" Not with her cooking skills! "I'm uh....not really hung- AH!"

Taro grabbed her ankle and dragged her off the bed, "Come on! She wanted to treat you. And it's not bad, I promise!"

Yumi nervously stared at the censored plate of food in front of her. How was her brother eating this?!

"I know it doesn't look nice-" her brother tried to assure.

Yumi's fork blurred form the censorship of the food as she tried to poke it, "I don't even know what this is....."

"It's pancakes," Mine told her serving a glass of water.

Pancakes?! Yumi kept staring at her plate, "Why is it brown? Aren't pancakes supposed to be golden?"

Her mother walked in, "It's chocolate pancakes!" She sat in her seat, "Go on and try it!"

Taro patted his sister's back, "Don't worry, it actually tastes good!"

Mine nodded to confirm, "I tried it before he did and I'm still standing, it won't make you sick."

Yumi hesitantly cut off a piece and put it in her mouth. This was surprising, it actually tastes like chocolate pancakes. Although......it's appearance didn't look like it. "It's......actually good."

"Yay!" Her mother clapped, "I improved my cooking these past 2 years, don't you think? I feel that I have to do something extra for not being here for you!"

The poor girl couldn't breathe from her mother's tight hug. However......this was a nice warm start to the day.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

After placing the white amaryllis on her's sister's grave and lighting the incense, the family prayed.

Once Mayumi was finished she wished her sister, "Happy Valentine's Day, Tomo-nee-san."

He brother spoke for his twin sister, "She wishes you Happy Birthday, Yumi-chan."

"I know," this was how she greeted the day. Yumi would wish a happy Valentine's Day, and other would wish her a happy birthday.

"Happy Birthday, Yumi-chan!" Her voice echoed in her head.

If only she could hear the phrase in the tone of her voice again.....

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

After their visit, they went to the stables. The moment Sakura saw Yumi's mother, she neighed excitedly.