Chapter 18

The lineup for the Winter Cup came out. Assuming Razukan reaches the finals, the only Generation of Miracles schools they would have to worry about was Shūtoku High in the semi finals and one other.

Yumi saw the Tōō Academy and Seirin High were going against each other in the first round. She did admit, she started to worry.

She hoped for Seirin to win, mainly because those two players, Kagami and Kuroko. Their teamwork and passion showcased the potential to surpass Akashi's emperor's eye.

Speaking of Akashi, he finally confronted her about the drill where she gave him a win again. "What did you mean you're not the one to give me defeat?"

Mayumi stacked the papers she finished looking over and signing as vice president, "It's exactly what I said, I am not the right person to give you a real defeat. If you lost to me, which is very possible as I have proved it, you would only believe someone equal to you would be able to beat you. You have loose to someone you deem lesser."

Those heterochromatic eyes glared at her, "Anyone lesser than me will loose."

"How would you know? You never gave them a chance. You fall apart the moment there's chance you'll loose." She stared at the emperor, "Isn't that why you took a few days to finally confront me about this?"

He pulled her up and slammed her onto the wall, "I will never experience defeat," he trapped her, "Even to you, my victory is absolute. You surrendered to me, and you always will." He emphasized every word, "You haven't won."

"Did I lose?" She remarked showing no fear. "You seem to believe that's the case." His silence showed he didn't have the answer. She got out of his grip to start packing her stuff, "If that's the case, I should be denied or forgotten. Isn't that your philosophy? But....it seems that hasn't happened....to me or to anyone else. It seems that your absolute ideals aren't realistic."

Mayumi admittedly wanted to make him see the obvious choice of her question. She hoped he was realistic enough to understand her words.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

It was the beginning of December, the winter cup was about to begin. "Akashi, you haven't forgotten about my question, right?"

"No," he answered.

Her breath could be seen in the cold air, "Your answer?"

He remained silent. Or, more like a part of him couldn't bring himself to say it.

Mayumi frowned reading what his silence meant and sighed bidding goodbye for the day, "I'll see you tomorrow."

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

Razukan arrived in Tokyo the day before the Winter Cup. Akashi still hadn't answered her question. Only one day left.

The fact it was taking this long relieved but disappointed her. The fact he's contemplating this long had to mean he had feelings, but it also meant it wasn't strong enough to be the obvious choice.

Mayumi placed her stuff in her room. The team stayed at Akashi's house in Tokyo since it was more convenient. Only thing is, her room was nearest to Akashi's. It was right in front of his.

Once she settled her stuff she left the room. At the same time she open her door, his door opened. As she kept walking, he called her, "Mayumi."

Ever since the question was asked, Mayumi hadn't converse with Akashi like they used to before. The only time she talked to him was about the question and when spoken to. "Yes?" She hummed and turned around but said nothing else.