Chapter 23

Seirin won. The winning point was a team play of a free throw. She knew the captain of the team intended for a rebound. They caught the rebound, and the winning shot was made by Kagami. He couldn't have got it without the help of his teammates, especially from that pass from Kuroko.

Even she couldn't believe what she saw when they lined up, Akashi was tearing up trying to hold his composure.

While watching the award ceremony, Taro barged in. He saw Seirin holding the Winter Cup trophy and laughed proudly, "Haha! I knew it! How was the game?"

Yumi and Mine caught up the alumni what happened in the game. His facial expressions switched back and forth hearing it: Angry, cheerful, disappointed, then happy. "It seems they got reminded of what basketball was. Well, I'll make my way to see them. Come on!"

"No, Taro-nii-san," Yumi rejected, "We'll meet you back at your apartment. NeNe-chan, let's go," Yumi walked ahead.

Mine followed, but she wanted to know, "How come you didn't want to stay?"

Yumi sighed, "I can't face Akashi. You saw him on the court, he wanted to win more than anything. Even after he changed, he still values winning......even more than me." There was a tight feeling on her chest as she confessed her actions.

"I see........" Mine put her arm around her friend, "Well, his loss! Don't worry, I'll rip his heart out for letting you go. He'll really he heartless!"

Yumi giggled having her spirits lift up hearing the sadistic threat, "Arigatou, NeNe-chan."

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*
Kayano Taro

The blonde player gasped with his eyes sparkling at the alumni, "I can't believe it......" he bowed down to the ground, "It is an honor to be in your presence!"

Taro stood proudly over the blonde uncrowned kings, "My reputation still lives on to this day!"

The person who bowed stood up, "My name is Hayama Kotarō!"

Taro remembered how Hayama played, "I watched you play last week! You, kid, are a great basketball player! Keep up that spirit of yours!"

The blonde uncrowned king was squealing from receiving such a compliment from his idol. After the alumni player greeted everyone, the coach introduced him to this year's team, "As some of you may know, this is Kayano Taro. Former point guard and captain, he started the winning streak five years ago during his third year."

"The winning streak we just broke......." Everyone in Razukan trailed off feeling the shame of the broken record.

Taro laughed, "It's okay! The winning streak wasn't going to last forever! Although....." his gaze became cold just like his former coach, "You guys weren't playing basketball at all, your loss was no surprise."

Everyone shivered from the cold glare. He pointed at current Razukan captain, "Yumi-chan told me what you did your team. What do you have to say for yourself?"

The current captain stood straight and formally apologized, "I was blinded by my own absolutism. I was too focused on victory and lost sight of what basketball meant for me." He turned to the team and bowed, "Again, I am deeply sorry."

The repeated apology got the vice captain to tear up, "Aw, Sei-chan! You're saying Yumi-chan's words!"

"That reminds me....." Taro threateningly grabbed Akashi's shirt and lifted him off the ground, "........you broke my little sister's heart. Good thing she refused to come with me, I wouldn't want you anywhere near her."

Surprisingly, Mayuzumi stood up for the current captain, "Give him a chance to redeem himself. He's no longer the arrogant dimwit."

The past captain looked at the third year. The cold stern look form him revealed that he would not joke on such a topic, much less make such a suggestion. Taro was convinced, "Alright......what are you going to offer to make up for it, Akashi Seijūrō?"