Chapter 1

"You can't leave Victoria, this is your home! Please let's talk about this." My father pleaded as I dragged my luggage down the stairs. He was completely chaotic about me leaving but my mom...my mom was indifferent.

"Oh please Christian, let her go. She'll come right back as soon as she blows through her bank account. Feel free to take your leave Victoria, you've always had the ability to run from every situation you find yourself in." She stood there with her perfectly tailored pantsuit and pearls and neatly packed hair. My family was the definition of prestigious and elite. We had been Danish nobles for centuries. So it's no surprise that my mom's a cold-hearted witch.

"Don't say that Isabella!" He said sternly to her and turned back to me. "Don't leave baby, we can talk about this. "

"I'm sorry dad but I need to get away from everything ......and her." I said glaring at my mom.

"You're nothing like your sister! At least Freja knew when to listen to me because I knew what was best for her. But look at you, constantly running away from the truth. How many more countries do you have to exhaust before you realize that you'll always end up back here?!"

"Yes mom, I'm nothing like Freja because I haven't let you control every part of my life! You constantly manipulated her and look at her now, unhappily married to that crazy man simply because you couldn't listen to her and truly understand what she wanted! You turned my sweet sister into someone different simply because she can't stand the reality anymore. I refuse to let you do that to me! You've made me a pawn in your political games and I'm choosing to end that right now. " I walked to the door and turned back to face her. "I may have done this before and returned but believe me when I say, this is the last time you're going to see me for a very long time. Bye, dad."

"You'll come back. You always do." She said as she sipped her tea. I turned and walked towards the car. Leaving Denmark was hard for me, I loved this place but a fresh start is just what I need and I am going to get it.

I landed in England and went straight to my apartment. I always visited England but it was never permanent, although I had a permanent residence. Thanks to housekeeping, all I had to do was unpack. It took me a few hours to actually arrange everything in the right places but as soon as I got it done, I got into bed and gave my sister a call.

"Hey, Tori!" She squealed excitedly over the phone.

"Hey, Freja. You seem oddly happy, what's going on?" I asked as I opened my laptop and waited for it to boot.

"Well, my "husband" just told me that he's leaving town for a few months! Isn't that amazing!" I laughed at the irony of her words.

"Other wives would be saddened by that fact but not you."

"And other good kids don't just up and leave their home because of a small fight with mom but here we are." She said laughing.

"No fight with mom is ever a small fight, you know that. And I didn't up and leave, I simply moved out."

"Yeah, to another country!" She said exclaiming over the phone.

"Please, mom has already given me the 'I'm so disappointed' speech. "

"I'm not disappointed, I'm impressed. You dared to stand up to Duchess Isabella, now you don't see that every day. How did I miss that?"

"Because you were busy, Countess Freja. "

"But how are you holding up? How are your finances looking?" I gave a tiring sigh.

"I'm holding up just fine and my finances are looking good. You have nothing to worry about and besides, if I ever need money, I could always call the sister who's married to a billionaire. " She let out a laugh.