Chapter 23

Here we were! It was my wedding day! The road here was a lot. The public loved us. Our faces were on mugs, bells, food china, pill boxes, coins, name it! And these were in circulation around the UK, Australia and Canada! Media personnel were covering it live from all over the world! I'm excited, scared, worried, nervous, and more. I haven't seen Arthur in two days, and he's the only person that can calm me down.

"Babe, you've got this. We've got this. We got through the engagement, we're going to make it through the wedding." I had ducked out of the preparation area to call Arthur. I needed to.

"I know. But this is all crazy. Everyone's waiting for the announcement of our new titles from your grandmother, they  all want to see my gown, and my mother is driving me insane!"

"Calm down." He said with a laugh.

"Why are you so calm?"

"Because I've come to the realization that at the end of this, I get to call you my wife. Let's just focus on that."

"Ok." I felt calm again.

"So, go get ready. It's almost 8:40am. You need to be ready by then."

"Isn't that when the guests start arriving?"

"It is. But it's a punctuality thing."

"Ok. I love you."

"Love you too." I sat down on the bed in my robe and sighed. My makeup was done. My hair was perfect. My gown was here, but I wasn't ready to put it on yet. Putting it on just makes it all so real. I was still seated on the bed when Louise walked in.

"Wedding jitters?" She asked as she handed me a bottle of water.

"More than I expected."

"I had a ton of those. I just looked ahead and focused on the years I had ahead of me. You and Arthur have those good years ahead."

"I know."

"Then stop being so gloomy. We still have a lot to do."

"Ok. Is my mom still here?"

"Of course. She's been making sure everyone looks perfect."

"Could you help me call her in?"

"Absolutely." She left, and seconds later, my mom came in. She looked beautiful.

"Baby, what's going on? We've been out there waiting for you. You aren't nervous, are you?"

"A little bit." She rushed to my side and held me.

"Arthur loves you. I thought this was what you wanted."

"It is. I guess I'm just nervous about having 2,000 people attend my wedding."

"You'll do just fine. You're perfect. I know I've never said this before, but I am very proud of who you've become. I wasn't the easiest parent while you were growing up. And maybe if I had done some things differently, Freya would still be here. I'm never making that mistake again. Not with you. I'm here for you. Always." That was the reassurance I needed. I suddenly felt better.

"Thanks mom. Now, I think it's time I went out there and thanked everyone." She smiled as we walked out of the calm, and into the storm of wedding prep. Louise was getting her makeup done. Camille had headed down to the Chapel to sort some things out. And I could see makeup artists, and hair stylists running around. It was all crazy.

I picked up a glass from the table and tapped lightly on it.

"Can I have everyone's attention please?" They all turned to me with a smile. "Um, I want to start by just thanking everyone for being here today. It's been hours and we're all still going. I want to thank my team for getting me ready, and for getting everyone else set for this day. To my security team, I'm so grateful. I really couldn't be in better hands. And to my mother, thank you for decades of love, care, and tolerance. I'm happy to say that I'm no longer your problem." We all broke out laughing.