Chapter 33

New York!!! I love New York. Everything about it just excites me. The people, the food, the lights! All of it! We started our New York Visit with a separate day. Arthur will to travel to Washington, D.C., for the day. There he will meet with the President and Vice President (separately) and will attend the International Corruption Hunters Alliance conference at the World Bank focused on preventing poaching and the illegal wildlife trade. He will also attend a working lunch at the World Bank to discuss programs that support the fight against the illegal trade of ivory. Arthur will then return to New York City to attend a conservation reception with Hillary and Chelsea Clinton, cohosted by the Clinton Foundation, with me.

Meanwhile, I will remain in New York. Accompanied by the First Lady of New York City, Chirlane McCray, I will visit the Northside Center for Child Development in Harlem. I will then attend a lunch hosted by the British Consul General in New York. Busy day.

"You know you didn't have to come here with me. Now, you'll have the stress of going back to the airport alone." I told him to just stay at the airport since he already had to fly in an hour or so. But he insisted on making sure I got to the residence safely.

"I have no regrets."

"I'll miss you." I said as I hung onto his suit jacket.

"I'll be gone for a few hours. I'll be back by the time you're done here." He leaned down and kissed me. "Now, go get ready. I want to see your look on the news before I land."

"Ok. Bye baby."

"Bye." After he left, I started getting ready for my outing. We're visiting in June, so it's actually a bit humid today. After a final consultation with my stylist, I was good to go.

I was about leaving when I made a last minute addition to my team

I was about leaving when I made a last minute addition to my team. I usually go for engagements wth my security, and personal assistant. But today, I felt that my stylist would be a good addition today. We settled in the car and started the drive.

Inside the Child Development Center, the First Lady of New York and I met privately in the library with families, and children ages 2 to 18 experiencing developmental delays, in addition to young victims of abuse. We then walked to the gift-wrapping station, where items including Frozen paraphernalia, Dr. Seuss books, and a singing butterfly waited to be wrapped. I proved proficient in the art of gift wrap as I deftly placed tape on my thumb, used scissors to cut the paper, and even scrawled a message atop the wrapping paper for a child “3-24 months.”

I was a pro! The funny thing is that the children actually thought I was a Disney Princess. I joked that I had hoped they would have given me a “square” gift to wrap, but I packaged the singing winged butterfly beautifully. After I finished wrapping the item, I clutched it with both hands and held it up, showing off my win!

Later, I was led into a classroom filled with 3- and 4-year-old kids with special needs.

“Do you know who’s coming to visit today?” An administrator asked as I made my entrance.