Chapter 26

It was finally the day for the meeting with Vincent's girlfriend. It was apparently set up as a dinner at Buckingham. It was just Arthur and I, his parents, his grandparents, and then Vincent and his girlfriend. I had just finished my look for tonight. It was simple, but elegant.

It was an awkward drive

It was an awkward drive. Arthur was clearly set. He wasn't even willing to play nice tonight. It was going to be a tense dinner.

"Could you just play nice tonight?"

"Victoria..."

"Arthur, he's your brother. He had not even met me when we broke up. But he still came to talk things out with me. And he was amazing."

"You're not her."

"But he didn't know that. Arthur, if you're going to say no to this, at least give it a fair shot. Cause if you don't, and you ruin this for your brother, you will never forgive yourself." He was thinking about what I said. He knew I was right.

As we arrived, we said hello to everyone. Vincent and his girlfriend had just pulled up. Everyone had this look on their face. The odds were that this wasn't going to go well.

My first impression of her was that she wasn't even African-American! She was as light as me! So for Vincent to lay emphasis on her race, this wasn't what any of us were expecting. I know we have light skinned African-Americans, but this was different. We were all standing in the Green Room when they walked in. We were all thinking the same thing.

"I thought she was meant to be African-American?" Arthur whispered to me. I was just as shocked as he was. She had mid-length black hair, she was a bit thick...but just right, she had freckles on her cheeks, and that was it. That was all to her physical appearance.

"Everyone, meet Rachel Raglan." Vincent said as he approached all of us. We were all reluctant to do this, but it's only fair that we try. She was just standing there. Not even a curtesy to the Queen! It was almost blasphemous. We all saw the flaw in the impression, but we ignored it.

"Rachel, hope you like steak and potatoes." I'm sure Arthur's dad intended it to be a question, but it was just a statement. Without saying anything else, we adjourned to the dining room.

For the first few minutes, we ate in silence. Nobody wanted to be the first to say something. Until the Queen spoke.

"Rachel, what do you do for a living?"

"I act. As I'm sure you all know, I have been shooting the show 'Briefcases' for years in Canada." I'm sorry but...wow.

"Well, no, we don't all know. But thank you for the information." Arthur's grandfather added. Not the best start.

"Do you realise that if my permission is given, you'd immediately put an end to that...career of yours?"

"I do. And I'm willing to give all that and more up if it means being with Vincent." I could feel Arthur's mood, and it wasn't good.