Chapter 29

"It's never going to be fair when it comes to Victoria and yourself. But that's how it works here. She is married to Arthur, who has a higher precedent than Vincent." We were having tea with Arthur's mom, and Rachel had brought up this very uncomfortable topic. I just sat there quietly and sipped my tea.

"Doesn't that automatically mean that the system is rigged to cause problems between the siblings?" She had a valid question right there.

"Not if their wives don't make a big deal of out it. The boys were trained this way. It's all they know. So, the only way that they'll realise that the system is flawed, is if you mention it."

"And not just this, but I have to take a fertility test? That's barbaric. " Ahh, yes. The fertility test.  It's self explanatory. But when it came to me, Arthur said no. He wasn't going to let me have it. He didn't even want to hear my opinion. He said no for the both of us. At the end of the day, when I saw the problem it was going to cause, I just said fine.

"Those are our rules. And they are what they are. I take an exception to you calling them barbaric." I still said nothing. There was nothing for me to say.

"I feel like I'm back in the 18th century. This is far from what I know to be basic. And Victoria, you're fine with this?"

"Look, I come from a home with almost the same cultures and traditions, so this is normal for me. Plus, it doesn't seem so bad when your husband is there as a support system. Arthur is always there to make the crazy seem normal, and that helps." The rest of the tea was awkward for me. They just kept on going back and forth. I just wanted to go home.

"Babe? Arthur?" I called out for him when I got home, but he wasn't down in the common area. I found him seated in bed when I went upstairs. "Hey you." I went to his side and leaned in for a kiss. He pushed his laptop from his legs and pulled me in. I smiled as I broke the kiss. "Seems like someone missed me."

"Yes...and I can't imagine that tea went well." I shook my head no. "What happened?"

I went ahead to explain everything to him. Every single thing.

"Wow...how many times did you need to refill your tea?" He asked laughing.

"Too many times." I said with laughter too. "You know, it doesn't have to be this difficult. When I said yes to you, I knew it wouldn't be easy. But I was willing to go through it for us. She just has to realise that this isn't America. There are rules to these things."

"But that's the thing, she's not as smart as you are. Look, my grandparents called, and they think that we should just come out and make the engagement announcement."

"What difference does that make?"

"It makes it valid. But, they think we should delay it until after our trip."

"The trip is only supposed to last for two weeks."

"And that's another change in plan."

"Oh God..."

"It's now a tour of the US and Canada."

"Babe..."

"I know." He hugged me tightly. I was not in the mood for all that travelling.

"How long will we be away?"

"A month...at best. They're just stalling until they get Vincent to change his mind."

"And if he doesn't? We just keep on touring the globe to buy more time?"

"No. Then he will ultimately choose between his family...and his girlfriend." That wasn't a choice I would want anyone to make. I couldn't imagine how that would feel.