Chapter 22

"My sister, Princess Freja of Denmark, devoted her life to the service of her people. She devoted her time, thoughts, and money to her causes. She was quite particular about her love for this organisation. She believed that the work that was being done here was particularly important to our generation, and the ones to come after us. She never failed in her duties as the patron of The Wish Foundation, and it was a role that she loved quite passionately. She always told me how excited she was to spend time with the children, and the smiles that she saw on their faces made her day." I took a pause, and gave a warm smile. "Today, I stand here, as the new patron of The Wish Foundation." There was a brief applause, and then I was allowed to continue. "I plan on continuing my sister's work with the foundation, and with the help of His Royal Highness, Prince Arthur of Wales, I will bring this foundation into a new era. Thank you."

I stepped off of the stage and walked to meet a standing Arthur. He gave me a quick peck on the cheek, and then sat down. The clapping died down soon enough. Arthur and I did a walkabout before leaving, then we went back to our hotel.

"So, how are things going with Vincent?" I asked as I took my shoes off. There had been some tension between Arthur and his brother, and I didn't like that.

"Can you not bring this up?" He was always dismissive about this conversation.

"I just want you both to get along."

"Victoria, he's being stubborn."

"And so are you. But I'm still here, so you should be there for him too."

"Look, I've done my best with Vincent. He can go right ahead to do what he wants."

"You don't mean that." He walked to me and extended his hand. When I took it, he pulled me to his chest.

"I do. This girl is bad news, and soon enough, everyone will see that too."

And soon enough, we all did. Months later, the news leaked the truth about her. She was a social climber who dated high ranking socialites for relevance. And in that moment, I wanted to see how Arthur would deal with the situation. He couldn't go in with the "I told you so" card. And he didn't. He stood by his brother, and they moved on like nothing had happened. That was the beauty of their relationship. They could battle through a storm, but they would always come out stronger than ever.

But moving ahead from that drama, Arthur and I had our pre-wedding party today! It was set up to be an evening yacht party that would run till the early hours of the morning. Arthur and I spent the early hours of that day in bed.

"Can you believe it? In two days, you're going to be my wife." My head was calmly on his chest, as my hand fiddled with his hair.

"It's crazy. So much has happened, and in such short time. Plus, this week has been filled with nothing but dress fittings and rehearsals."

"You know, I want the most basic life with you. Just us, staying at my place. No drama."

"Me too. I just love the silence surrounding us, I don't want that to change."

"It will." He was honest and straight forward. Things were going to change. "But as long as we have each other, we'll be fine."

"I love you, Arthur Windsor."

"I love you too, Victoria Schleswig." We stayed there until it was time to get dressed. Arthur had not seen my look for the night, but he was about to be blown away.