Chapter 5

"And where exactly did you go to?" She was calm as always. Her welcoming and caring presence always made it easier to come clean, especially in cases like this.

"I went to see and friend and I guess we lost track of time."

"Arthur, you know better and because I know that you know better, I expect you to do better. I don't have an issue with you staying out but no matter how late it gets, always come back to the palace. You abandoned your security and broke security protocols, thus putting yourself at risk."

"I'm sorry."

"Well, you've shown remorse so all is forgiven. But, I do have something to discuss with you." Now, after my late night with Toria, my father apparently called my grandmother on me. So, I had to come all the way here just to apologise for staying out late. Even a teenager gets more slack than I do. We were currently having tea in the Green Room and honestly, I'm just glad I haven't seen my father yet.

"I'm all ears."

"It has been brought to my attention that Princess Victoria Schelswig of Denmark is here in London." How on earth did she find out? Toria is not going to like this.

"Oh... how did you find out?" She looked at me strangely and then sipped her tea.

"I'm the Queen, the only reason it took me this long to find out is because I've been preoccupied but now I have the time. Well, we haven't always been on great terms with our Danish brothers and sisters, but for a first-class royal member of the family to come here, this could be a step in the right direction." So this is political.

"Have you considered the possibility that she doesn't want to be recognised. I mean, she could just be here on a private holiday."

"It's a possibility, but this is an opportunity that we need to maximise. I'll invite her over to the Cornwall house for dinner with you, your brother and your parents. There'll be a photo-op of course. That way, we'll be showing the world that we are united."

"True but I think if she wanted the world to know that she was here, they would. Maybe we should just let her be."

"Rubbish! World politics aren't associated with want, they work on need and we need this dinner to happen."

"But you always said that a royal's vacation should never be interrupted with work."

"Yes?"

"This is her vacation period. You reaching out and inviting her means she would now be obligated to come and that would interrupt her vacation period. I think it would do more harm than good. Please, let's just let her have her space."

"Fine." She said defeatedly. "But the way you talk about her makes me wonder." I laughed at how well she knew me. I could never lie to her.

"Wonder what grandmother?"

"I'm not sure. It's almost as if you know her. You speak of her with something I can honestly call..passion. Tell me Arthur, have you managed to develop an interest in our good friend here?"

"She's just a friend but don't tell my father, I don't want him getting any ideas." She was quiet and then she was smiling.

"Isn't that delightful?! Ah, I'm so proud of you Arthur! Danish royalty!" She was so happy. She was holding my hands in hers and squeezing them tightly.

"Just friends granny." I said just to make myself clear.

"But you do like her! Oh I see it in your eyes. You have that glint in there whenever she's mentioned and how quickly you jump in to protect her best interest, it's beautiful. I'm 67 years old Arthur, don't kill my excitement. Very little excites me this much now. I'll leave you to your new girlfriend but don't do anything stupid. And stay away from the press unless you're really serious about her, don't raise everyone's hopes again."