Chapter 28

"And it's funny because we were all on set! And that was the moment I realised that when you accidentally pour coffee on yourself, you have a better chance changing than getting that stain out." We all laughed as we heard Rachel's story. Dinner was actually going well. "But yeah, I didn't think acting would be fun when I started out, but it was one of my best choices."

"Glad to hear that." I said as I sipped my wine.

"But enough about me. Victoria, you used to be a model!" Yes...I was. A very popular one too. But it's not a part I like to mention too often.

"I was. It was just one of those random things I did in my free time."

"And you still see it in the way the cameras capture her! Plus you have to check out our pictures together. I always look like the boring old guy, and she's the hot one with a daring pose." Arthur said as he nudged my shoulder playfully.

"And I always wondered why you stopped. You had gotten to the pinnacle of success at such a young age. You had been working with the biggest brands in the world. Why stop?" Vincent asked.

"Well, it just wasn't my thing. In truth, I think I just wanted to step away from everything. Arthur knows me. And one thing he can clearly tell you is that I value my privacy. And let's be honest, modeling literally keeps me physically in the spotlight."

"True." Arthur said. "And I think that as that age, we were all really just experimenting with our choices. Trying to find what works for us."

"Well, Victoria, I don't get it. You wanted your privacy, and then you ended up marrying into the most popular Royal Family in the world. And not just that, you married the most eligible bachelor in the world. It doesn't exactly scream privacy." I don't know if I should've been offended, but Arthur clearly was. I put a hand on his to calm him down.

"Rachel, you plan on giving up a 'career' that you claim to value so much because of a man you've known for less than a year. I think it's safe to say that love makes us do crazy things. And by that measure, I do think my choice is the safer bet here. I took a risk for Arthur, and so far, I have no regrets." She sipped her wine in silence after that. Dinner went by, and then they left. They were staying together in Frogmore Cottage.

"That was intense." Arthur said as he removed his watch, getting ready for bed.

"Really? I hadn't noticed." I said sarcastically.

"She's a silent bitch. You noticed that right?"

"And I'm a vocal one. Plus, I didn't see the need to banter with her. I said a few things and she stayed quiet. I think I can handle her."

"I know you can. But the whole point of this dinner was for me to give them both a chance to change my mind."

"And?"

"They didn't. My decision stands, she's not welcome here."

********Rachel's POV*******
"That was crazy, don't you think?" I asked Vincent as he poured himself a drink.

"What was?" This again. He never noticed the little jabs thrown to me by his family.

"The way she spoke to me. She was being disrespectful."

"No, she wasn't. She had her walls up because you tried to launch an attack. I noticed that." He sat down across me and sipped his drink. I didn't try to attack her! I merely made an observation.

"So it's my fault?"

"You disrespected your hosts. You're lucky Arthur didn't throw us out. Look, let my problems with my brother stay between my brother and I. Victoria is an amazing person, I know that for a fact. And I can see how much work she has put into calming my brother down during this period. Things would be much worse if she wasn't here."