Chapter 16

A thousand people could fit into the gap between Arthur and I during that car ride. I fiddled with my engagement ring as I stared into space. Was I actually making the right choice? The Arthur I saw today, scares me. It's like I don't even know him.

"Toria..." I turned to him and waited for him to continue. "Can we just try, for Louise? It's her day and I know how much you would hate to ruin it for her."

"You ruined it the moment you beat one of her best friends up."

"Victoria..."

"But, I won't add to that. I'll be fine. Let's just get through this." He reached out for my hand but I pulled it away. When we got to the venue for our brunch with Louise and other close friends, we put our smile on. When I stepped out of the car, Arthur emerged from his side and took my hand in his. When we got to the red carpet for the brunch, we stopped to take some pictures. He had his arm around my waist, and I had my hand on his chest. I was an actual princess. Faking a smile is in my handbook.

As we moved away from the photographers, we ran into Louise and Carter, her fiancé. 

"If it isn't the future king and queen of the United Kingdom." Louise said as we approached her.

"No. Please." I said with a smile. "Today is all about both of you. Congratulations guys."

"Thank you." She gave me a tight hug before turning to Arthur. "And thank you too."

"For what?"

"For making the best decision you've ever made."

"I don't follow."

"Victoria. I never understood what you guys had until I found Carter. It's almost as if I was incomplete, and I didn't even know that. And I'm so happy to know that I will never lose this." Arthur pulled me closer and gave a light smile.

"Well, I should be the one thanking Victoria. She makes me a better person everyday."

"Well, I'm just happy that Louise had such good friends to take care of her before we met. She may never tell you both, but she holds each of you in very high esteem." Carter added. I felt like a scam.

"Please, excuse me." I left them standing there and I headed to the bathroom. After ensuring that I was alone, I broke down. I never understood why my father stayed with my mom despite some of her nasty attributes, and whenever I asked, he would tell me it's love. But love isn't meant to hurt this much. Being at loggerheads with Arthur killed me. I felt like I was dying on the inside.

While I was drowning in my pain, Camille walked in. I would normally pretend that everything was perfect, but not with her.

"Hey. I saw you run off. What's going on?" She walked up to me and placed a hand on my back. I raised my head and she saw my tears. She immediately pulled me into a hug. "Oh Tori. What happened?"

"Arthur. What if we shouldn't be doing this? What if he's not the person I thought he was? What should I do?"

"Arthur is not perfect. But don't you see, you're making him better. He was a mess until you came along. I've never been more sure about anything Tori. Arthur is your forever. You can try to delay that, but it's true. Whatever happened between you guys today, shouldn't change what you know."

"And what's that?"

"That he's a good man. And that he loves you."

I cleaned myself up and stepped out with Cam. I met up with Simon and Timothy while I was looking for Arthur.

"Vicky!" Simon said as he pulled me into a hug. "Congratulations! I never got to tell you that. And where's that lucky bastard?"

"I'm not sure. But thank you Simon. I trust I'll be seeing you at the wedding?"