26.) Peaceful?

Cal

"It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on, coughing and searching, and finding

"It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on, coughing and searching, and finding."

Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

"Let me know if this hurts." Four said, I let out an exhausted sigh and looked up at him. "It just feels...Awkward." I said a bit breathless, he nodded and kept going. "How does that feel?" He questioned, I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. "Want me to go further?" He asked, I opened my eyes and looked up at him as he towered over me.

"It's starting to hurt now." I answered truthfully. "Okay, we can stop for a break." He said, I nodded and he stood up from the bed then I sat up rotating my shoulder.

"Those stretches are hell." I pointed out, he chuckled and went over to grab the kit and bowl. "We have to make sure to keep stretching your shoulder and leg. Build up that muscle." He pointed out then sat down in front of me on the wooden chair. "You know, you're getting good at this." I said, he chuckled and shook his head. He gentle grabbed my injured hand and began to unwrap it.

"Does it hurt to move it still?" He asked as he prepared the gauze. "I'm fine." I answered.

He let out a sigh and began to clean the area of the wound.

"You don't have shield yourself all the time, Cal." He said as he set the rag to the side and grabbed some antibiotics to place over the laceration. "I'm not, I just want to change." I pointed out, he raised an eyebrow and began to wrap my hand. "Change what?" He questioned, I moved my hair over my shoulder and he finished wrapping my hand.

"I won't ever kill...I can't keep living like this." I answered truthfully. "Do you want me to stop as well?" He asked trying to be respectful and I shook my head then cupped his face with my uninjured hand. "I want you to make that choice for yourself." I answered, he nodded and lightly smiled.

"Come on, I have chores." I said standing up and he does the same. "This week has felt so long." I pointed out. "I keep thinking any moment Jeanine will rush through with Eric." He said as we get outside and I picked up my bucket from beside the door.

"Four! Four!" A group of children called as they ran towards him. "Johanna said that you can help fix the swing. Please help us!" The little children begged him, I looked at him and couldn't help but smile. "Alright, let's go!" Four said.

The children grabbed his arms and began to lead him towards the swing. I chuckled and turned to make my way inside the small cottage for water, as I walk in, Tris stood by the window holding a pair of scissors.