16.) My time to die

Cal

"To me, the thing that is worse than death is betrayal

"To me, the thing that is worse than death is betrayal. You see, I could conceive death, but I could not conceive betrayal."

- Malcolm X

"So, we're not alone?" Tris asked me.

"No, I'm glad I'm not alone in this." I answered and she nodded. "Where are you heading?" I asked her as I walked with her to one of the exits. "To talk to my brother, I need to figure something out." She answered, we get to the door and I stopped her before leaving.

"If you manage to run into my mom...Don't trust her." I warned her, she looked into my eyes and nodded.

"Promise you won't. She's a great manipulator." I added. "I promise." She said then she lightly squeezed my shoulder and walked out.

"Be careful." I whispered as the light from the outside gets smaller and the door fully closes.

I let out a sigh and run my hand through my hair.

As I turn on my heel back to the pit, I couldn't help but think about my father. I wake up one morning thinking at breakfast I would see him, instead, my mother was sitting in her chair sipping her coffee while reading the news.

"Where's dad?" I remember asking her as I stepped into the cold room and she didn't even glance at me as she answers. "He's gone, now get ready for school." She ordered me. I was just a child and my father left me with a monster, she may seem calm to others, but I guess I brought out something so vile in her that she would let it all out on me.

My mother wouldn't just hit me with books because I needed to be woken up by knowledge, she would sometimes use a belt or a tablet. Whatever she got her hands on that was heavy or sharp, she'd use it on me.

The physical abuse started the night after my father disappeared. She blamed me for everything, if anything went wrong with her life, she would somehow turn it around and blame me. And I understand why, I'm burden to people.

She made sure I knew that when she left those scars on me.

~~~

"God, I'm tired." I muttered dropping to the floor as I finished practicing with knife throwing. I wiped the sweat off my forehead and stared at the work I did. I was improving in throwing, I take in a breath and stood up from the ground.

I walked over to the target and began to pull the knives out. Since I was the only awake at this time, I liked to take advantage of the quietness and being alone felt peaceful at times.