34.) the quality of mercy

Cal

"Because it strikes me there is something greater than judgement

"Because it strikes me there is something greater than judgement. I think it is called mercy."

-Sebastian Barry, The Secret Scripture

"Do you ever wonder what would've happened if we chose a different faction?" Tris asked me as we prepared ourselves for battle. "We'd be less traumatized." I answered truthfully as I tightened my vest, she nodded then looked to the floor. "Do you sleep at night?" She questioned still staring the ground. "No, not really. You?" I asked her, she let out a sigh then shook her head.

"Hey, Cal." Aaron said walking and I looked away from Tris to her. "So, I know you said no guns for you, but I designed you these." She said handing me something wrapped in a black bag. "What is it?" I asked her taking the bag and opening it to reveal two strangely heavy batons. "They're not just your standard batons. These bad boys are electroshock." She answered with a smirk and my brows raised impressed by her.

"Thank you so much, Aaron. These are amazing." I said with a smile, she nodded and Tori came in to the room as well. "They also assemble to make a staff and are powerful enough to keep a man rendered unconscious for hours." She informed me, I held the two batons and turned them on.

The sounds of light whoosh vibrations echoed through the room and the batons turned on into a color of bright blue.

"That's badass." Tori pointed out with a smile, I nodded then turned them back off. "There's a holder to have on your back for easier grab too." Aaron said picking up an automatic gun from the table and I nodded. "Once again, thank you." I said to her and she nodded then began to inspect the gun to be ready.

I grabbed the holster from the bag and put that on my back then slid in the two batons in a X shape on the holder. I made sure my braid was secured then I picked up my fingerless gloves and walked out the room. As I head down, I could see everyone preparing for today, for the battle that should lead to victory, but I couldn't help talking to someone who did manage to win a battle against me.

The cells come into my vision and I walked towards Reed who was standing guard at the entrance.

"For Coulter?" He questioned and I nodded, he cleared his throat then lead me to his cell. "Hey, Coulter! You've got a visitor." Reed informed him as he tapped his cell, Eric groaned in annoyance then sat up from his old used up cot. "Hmm. Figured you'd visit." Eric said as he rubbed his face then looked at me.

"Today's the day." I responded, he nodded then sort of admired what I wore. He chuckled then shook his head, almost like he disapproved of something in particular. "You're going into the battlefield without a sword." He pointed out, I glanced over my shoulders at my batons and shrugged looking back at him. "I said that I'm done killing. I have red on my ledger that I'd like to get rid of." I explained, he nodded and sighed.