30.) Death Penalty

Cal

"Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word

"Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word."

- George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

"Give me your hand." Four said offering me his help, I reached up at him and hoist myself up as he pulled me up. "This shoulder thing is really a pain." I muttered and stood up to look out at the city. "If we didn't have a bounty on our heads, I could enjoy this view." I said to Four as he stood next to me along with Tris and Caleb.

"Do you think they'll be there?" Tris asked Four and he nodded. "Sources say yes." He answered. "They better be." I said as I continued to walk with the three following me.

After a few minutes of walking, we suddenly came to a halt when Caleb spoke up.

"I can't go." He said with a slight tremble in his voice and we all looked at him confused. "What?" Tris asked going up to him as he stood on the step beneath her. "Look, I'm not like you guys." He began to explain then glanced at Four and I from behind Tris. "I'm not brave, I'm not fearless. I can't keep up this...This act." He added.

We gave Tris and Caleb their privacy by walking a few feet away.

"What do you think Candor will do once they see who we are?" I asked Four and he cleared his throat. "Maybe they'll hear us out and give us a chance to tell the truth." He answered to which I shook my head. "Candors don't trust anyone who isn't Candor." I pointed out then looked at him. "Wait." I said then realized something that could potentially help us.

"What is it?" He questioned.

"We can convince them to give us a trial at Candor instead of Erudite, I mean, they do have a truth serum." I answered and he nodded. "You're a better debater than I am, I trust you." He said which made me slightly smile and I glanced over my shoulder to see Caleb walking away as Tris stood there dumbfounded.

"Tris?" I called turning to look at her.

She took in a sharp breath then turned around to face us. "Let's keep moving." She said then walked between Four and I. He gave me a look to which I shrugged then we continued to walk, but I couldn't help to worry for Tris.

She's helped me so much, the least I could do is help her. So, I walked ahead of Four and walk next to her as she kept her focus forward.

"My brother is right." She spoke up and I glanced at her. "He's not strong enough to deal with these type of things." She added then crossed her arms in frustration. "He was probably telling you the truth, he wasn't born Dauntless." I pointed out, she nodded then looked at me. "You're probably right...I mean everything happened so quickly." She responded then kept her eyes forward.