27.) Brutal Out Here

Cal

"Not every puzzle is intended to be solved

"Not every puzzle is intended to be solved. Some are in place to test your limits. Others are, in fact, not puzzles at all..."

― Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration

"Did I not make it clear about your terms in staying here?" Johanna questioned us, I leaned my back on the railing and took in a breath. "I can let you know now that it will never happen again." I assured her and she looked at me. "We have to leave, don't we?" I asked, she crossed her hands and nodded.

"Your presence here...It's been chaotic to say the least." She answered, I looked to Four who was already looking at me and I turned my attention back to Johanna.

"To be frank, you were never going to let us stay here for good. I understand that, but don't you understand what my mother is planning?" I asked her and she sighed. "My mother one day will come marching in and strip you from your leadership titles, and if you refuse, you will be killed." I added.

I felt Four's hand on my shoulder and I inhaled deeply to calm down.

"You don't get it, you never will." Johanna said and I raised a brow. "Not get what? That you're willing to let countless of innocent people be terrorized?" I argued with her, she looked away from me and I shook my head. "You're too young to understand, you're still a kid." She said calmly.

"No." I disagreed with her.

"I was a kid. But your leadership stripped that away from me." I added which made her look at me sympathetically, I crossed my arms and held my biceps. "If I let you stay, what is your plan?" She questioned.

"Find out where the rest of Dauntless are, regroup and try to talk to the other leaders." Four answered. "Just one more chance." I said to her.

"One. That's it." She responded. I felt relief that she was giving us this last chance, I believe that we may have gotten Johanna to be at least the middle ground and maybe join the cause. "Calypso, I knew your father." She said out of nowhere then walked up to me and I was all ears. "You did?" I questioned and she nodded with a forced closed smile. "He was a kind person, tough, but kind to everyone. I could see the love he had for you, he would always speak about you and I saw how proud he was of you." She answered as she went into detail about him, which made my heart warm up.

"Your father had the answer for everything and I know he would not want you going down the path of destruction. He gave me something before he died, although, I think it belongs to you." She added then quickly walked over to her desk and pulled a puzzle box out. She came back to me and placed it on my hands, it felt like I was holding my father's hand again. "What is that?" Caleb asked confused, finally he spoke up.