Chapter 30 - She's trying to be strong.

Chapter 30 – She’s trying to be strong.

Lucy POV

“Guys, it’s time to get up!” Amy sings as she walks into my room the next morning.

“Argh! I’m not going to school today,” I groan, rolling over to face the wall and refusing to open my eyes.

“I know, that’s why I let you sleep in,” Amy replies in her usual chirpy morning voice as she comes to sit on the end of the bed.

“Get off,” I grumble as she sits on my feet. “God, you’re so fat.”

“And you’re a lazy ass but you don’t see me complaining,” she replies, not letting my grouchy mood put a dampener on her own as per usual. 

“Ugh, your friend is annoying,” Beck mumbles from my bedroom floor, and I turn over in just enough time to see him cram a pillow over his head to try and block Amy out.

When we got back from the meeting last night, I offered to get out the air mattress from the cupboard but he told me he was fine with just a few blankets and pillows. He’s not too bothered about luxury and as my bedroom is the spare bedroom in the house, it was either my floor or the sofa downstairs. My floor sounded like the better option to him as I explained about Amy’s tendency to get up uncharacteristically early and watch TV.

“I know,” I sigh, closing my eyes again and turning back to face the wall.

“Get up! Jeez! Is this all you guys do when you’re at the cave?” Amy says, grabbing the pillow from Beck and hitting me over the head with it. The sound of protest that escapes my mouth is somewhere between a whine and a groan.

“I will kick you,” Beck mutters, and I can’t help but laugh at such a ‘Beck’ comment like that.

“Get up!” Amy says again, deliberately ignoring his statement. “It’s ten in the morning!”

A sigh sounds from Beck before I hear the sound of rustling blankets, a clear indication that he’s giving in to Amy and getting his butt out of bed. Or, well, I guess technically floor but whatever.

I groan and roll over to face the room again before opening my eyes. I look over at Amy sat on the end of the bed and find her still clothed in her blue and purple Eeyore pyjamas.

What did she say the time was… ten o’clock?

“Are you not going in today?” I ask in confusion. Amy rarely takes days off.

“No,” she replies. “Mum and dad decided that we’ve gone through enough in the past few days that we deserve a day off if we want. Besides, Jess isn’t really doing too good.”

I’m immediately reminded that her predestined mate and my kind-of friend is currently awaiting a possible execution sentence.

Shit.

“How bad is it?” I ask quietly, not wanting Jess to overhear if she’s close by. Amy sighs.

“She’s trying to act like she’s not worried and doesn’t care, but it’s obvious she’s only putting on a brave face. It’s pretty bad,” she explains.

Ah, poor Jess…

“Where is she?” I ask.

“In the shower,” she replies. “We’re going to head down and watch some TV if you guys want to join?”

Before I can reply she continues on.

“And the question was aimed at Beck, Luce, because I’m being polite and offering,” I snort and roll my eyes. “You don’t get the choice; get your lazy ass up!”