Chapter 1 - And here I thought my life couldn't get any worse...

Lucy's POV -

I sit in my last lesson Math's class, gazing out the window at the thick line of trees as they grow further and further back into the heart of the forest, my pen tapping a steady rhythm on the fresh page of my open exercise book.

To say I don't want to be stuck in this classroom would be the understatement of the century. I want to be out there, in the forest, pushing myself to run so fast that my legs burn with every stride and my lungs heave with every breath. I do not want to be sat in here listening to Mr Hayden as he goes on and on and on about some stupid shitty algebra that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to understand even if I was paying attention.

I can feel my wolf-self deep within rumbling in agreement with me as she too hates the sound of my stupid teacher's voice. Not that my wolf and I ever really disagree on anything anyway, but still, the point still stands. My teacher is boring, this lesson is boring, and I can't wait to get the hell out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate school, but there are just some times where I would much rather be free to be myself than cooped up in this place, and one of those times just so happens to be now.

Sighing to myself, I tear my gaze away from the forest and fix it on the clock stationed above the classroom door. Fifteen minutes, fifteen minutes to go before the bell goes and I'll be out of here, and I can't bloody wait. Unfortunately, those fifteen minutes decide to take their time as I watch the second hand tick by excruciatingly slowly.

"Jacobs!" Mr Hayden snaps at me. "I suggest you get on with your work instead of just sitting there daydreaming. I'm sure you'll find that time goes by much more quickly when you're not just sat there wasting it!"

I hear sniggers from the rest of the class and I can't help the second sigh that escapes my lips during this lesson. This time, however, I sigh for a completely different reason.

Okay, so it's not news that I'm the pack's complete and total outcast. I'm the Omega, the Omega in a pack of fifty wolves, and my life consists of being either constantly ignored or constantly bullied. Unfortunately for me, this school contains a large percentage of those fifty (five of them even being teachers) which basically means that my life is hell. I'm nothing, I'm a nobody, I'm just a ghost of the girl I used to be.

I never used to be like this. At one point in my life I was actually considered to be normal, but that all started to change as I grew older.

My parents were pretty highly thought of within the pack. In fact, they were very much so with them not only contributing greatly to the pack, but also with them being on such good terms with our Alpha and Luna.

My father was a Hunter, a damn good one at that, and he was forever being Alpha David's first choice in that particular field.

My mother was a Tracker, the best in the pack, and she and my father both met on a Hunting expedition for rouges and never looked back.

Once they had officially paired off, they both refused to leave each other's side. If one of them went out on a hunt, they both did... no exceptions. That's how close their bond was; that's how much they loved each other and that's why, when one of the hunting trips went wrong, I not only lost one of my parents, I lost both of them.

I had just turned five when it happened. I was out running with Justin when Alpha came along and gave me the bad news...

The hunting group had gotten a surprise attack by a pack of rouge wolves; my parents weren't coming home.