Chapter 38 - What the hell have I done?

Lucy's POV

The second we both enter the cave, away from prying ears and the rest of the group, something inside me snaps. The blanket of controlled calmness that I needed whilst we escaped is completely ripped away now that we're out of danger, and I turn around to glare at Beck. I am pissed.

"What the fuck, Beck?" I hiss, sounding closer to a snake than a wolf right now.

"I - I can explain," he replies after his initial shocked pause. I have never been this mad at him and we both know it, although I feel like I have a pretty good reason if I'm honest.

He. Lied.

"You know what? Save it. I don't even want to hear it," I snap, knowing even as the words leave my mouth that it's a complete lie. I want answers; it's the only reason I'm still here.

"Shorty, please," he sighs, reaching for my hand but I pull it away from him faster than lightening.

"Don't fucking touch me, and don't 'Shorty' me either!" I seethe, taking a step back away from him. "I can't believe you!"

"I - I tried to tell you," he says, his words coming out fast and tumbling over each other slightly as he rushes to get them out. "I wanted to tell you, okay? I was going to tell you..."

"No you weren't," I reply, calling him on his outright lie. "The only reason the thought of telling me crossed your mind is because you knew I was running too close to your damn father."

"That's not true," he denies with a shake of his head. He goes to reach for me again but I step even further away.

"I said don't," I snap.

"I thought about telling you every single time I saw you, okay?" He says, his voice verging on panic now.

Good, let the lying little weasel freak, he deserves it.

"But you didn't," I reply, showing him straight-up that I don't give a shit about what he thought about doing. "You didn't tell me and you were never planning to." He opens his mouth to protest but I cut him off before he gets the chance to. "Admit it! If your father wasn't still hanging around you would've happily kept me in the dark for the rest of my life."

"I-" he starts, but the completely 'busted' expression on his face tells me I hit the nail right on the head. Unbelievable! "Okay - Okay so you're right. No, I wasn't going to tell you."

"God, you're such an asshole!" I practically yell at him. "Justin was right all along; I never should have trusted you!"

"Don't say that, Lucy, please," he sighs. "Of course you can trust me."

"Oh, yeah, because that's worked out so well so far," I scoff sarcastically, shaking my head and turning my back on him in disbelief.

"Look, I didn't tell you because I knew that this is how you'd react," he tries to reason, but I'm not having any of it. He may have been feeding me all his bullshit for the past three years, but I refuse to listen to it any longer.

"Well I feel as though my reaction is pretty damn just if you ask me!" I seethe, turning back to glare at him. He is so full of shit!

"Not completely," he sighs, and then interrupts me before I can fire any more of my indignant word ammunition his way. "What did you tell Justin right after we broke you out of your old house, about Devlin?"

Frowning, I study him carefully, not really sure what he's getting at. A lot happened that day; he could be talking about anything.

Sighing, Beck decides to elaborate. "You told him that Devlin couldn't choose his parents, Lucy, just like I can't choose mine. Please, just let me explain my side of the story."