At The Gelateria

Flashback
4th August 2009.

I was 5, going to turn 6. My dad decided to surprise my mother for her 29th Birthday by organising a trip and spending some Family time together in Italy. I must say, dad did a pretty good job.

We were in Rome, in the town centre. We had just finished seeing Nonna and Nonno. It was a sunny hot day. Mum and dad were holding my tiny hands.

"Hey dad, can we get ice cream?"

"Of course sweetheart. Maria, you want some?"

"Yes Martin, I would love to have some Italian ice cream. I haven't had some in years."

"Okay. Y/N baby, you want to stay here with mummy or you want to come inside with me?"

"I'm coming with you daddy!" I said and grabbed his hand for me to enter the Gelateria with him. The place was beautiful. It was pink, blue and white. They had all types of flavours here! Strawberry, Chocolate, Vanilla, Cookie Dough and a lot more that you couldn't find in London.

A young woman came up to us in her uniform.
(W means Woman)

W: "Ciao Ragazzi. Cosa vorresti avere oggi?" She spoke in Italian. Luckily, dad understood some italian.

D: "Ciao. Posso avere 2 misurini di cioccolato alla menta in un cono, per favore?"

("Hello. May I have 2 scoops of Chocolate mint in a cone please?")

W: "Ovviamente. Qualunque altra cosa?"

("Of course. Anything else?")

D: "What flavour do you want darling?"

"Can I have Strawberry please?" Dad nodded and looked back at the young woman.

D: "Posso avere 1 misurino di fragole in un cono per favore?"

W: "Sì, Qualunque altra cosa?"

D: "Hey Y/N, what is mum's favourite flavour?"

"Mummy likes Cookie Dough. You should know that!" He laughed after I made that comment.

D: "E infine, 2 misurini di pasta per biscotti in un cono, per favore."

W: "Sì. È tutto?" Dad nodded. "Saranno € 8,99 c. Le metto subito in moto."

("That will be €8.99c. I'll get those started right away")

Dad gave her a 10 and told her to keep the change. He was so kind. In 5 minutes, thr young woman handed us our 3 ice-creams and we went outside. We gave mum her cookie dough ice cream and she was pleased knowing we remembered her favourite flavour. We all walked the streets of Rome happily.

We were one happy family...

Flashback ended.

"We are here!" After a 15 minute drive, we arrived at The Gelateria at 1.03PM. We all got out of the car and made our way inside. It wasn't pink, blue and white anymore from the last time I came with my family. It was yellow and white. Damiano looked at me and sensed that I felt a bit uneased. He gave me a glance and held my hand and squeezed it for encouragment. That man knew me too well. He let go once a young man came to the cashier area. His name was Pablo. He has blue eyes and blonde hair and looked between my age.
(P stands for Pablo)

P: "Ciao Måneskin. Come posso aiutare oggi?"

(Hello Måneakin. How may I help today?")