12: Nightmares

why does Undertaker look like a plague doctor.

Victoria's POV:

I had a good time at the party, but what kept bugging me at work the next day was the word I heard all around that party. Princess. The souls I collected of men had one thing in common, they all had daughters. That night I dreamt I saw those records over and over again, hearing that same word, then I saw my father covered in blood. "Run . . . Run my printesa vampir." I saw villagers with torches and pitchforks coming. I ran into the woods, but I noticed everything getting bigger. I thought I was shrinking until I looked at my hands, they were a little girls hands, I was a child again. "There she is." The villagers pulled me by the hair, I couldn't shout stop or let me go, the only word that came out my mouth was dad weather it was screaming or crying.

I woke up shaking, the blanket was almost off me, and it was only one in the morning. "Victoria?" He came in and I hid under the blanket like a child.
"Are you alright? Come on let me see your beautiful face." My face felt red and my eyes felt swollen from crying. "Oh my little reaper, what happened?"
"A nightmare, a-and I haven't had one since I was a child, and I mean literally like 110 years ago," I said. He took my hands, "would you like me to stay until you fall asleep?" That surprised me. "What?" "I'll stay with you until you fall asleep, or I'll stay the rest of the night here," he said. The look in his eyes said he was worried and that he meant what he said. "Yeah . . . you should stay, and you're probably tired too so you can sleep next to me." "Hehe, I'm not sure I'll fit in that coffin," he said. His pjs had skulls on them and the sleeves were just a bit longer, it suited him.

After I got comfy, I felt a hand go up and down my arm. "Don't worry dear, everything will be alright. No one can hurt you here, I will protect you no matter what the cost." I fell asleep faster then expected.

💀🖤the next day🖤💀

"Dad? Dad?" D—"
"I heard my name don't wear it out, Hihi." He brought me breakfast in bed. "Here this should make you feel better," he said. "Now don't you worry about last night, leave that to me, you just go do your job." I shook my head with a mouth full of French toast that looked like bone biscuits.

💀🖤That night🖤💀

In my dream I wasn't after a cinematic record, it was after me. It dodged all my attacks, then it whipped out and grabbed my leg. It was wrapping itself around me tight, I was getting out of breath, then somehow it turned into thorns.
I screamed myself awake, screaming dad in the process. He practically broke down the door coming in.

Undertakers POV:

She was shaking and sounded like she had a hard time breathing. "It was another nightmare, wasn't it?" All she did was nod her head. "Alright come on," I picked her up, "you're sleeping with me tonight." Even in my room she was still shaking, I didn't want to do this but maybe it'll help. "Sshhhh, it's alright, Victoria. Now what was the dream about?" What she said terrified me more than it did her. "The thorns of death."
I got goosebumps just hearing the name again. Here's a girl who had to study about that to be a reaper, and here's a reaper who was there when it began and survived it. I'll tell her when she's ready. I brought her close, "it's gone now, Victoria, that will never happen to you." "You promise?" I had her under my chin, "you have the word of a father, that nothing will happen to his daughter."
She smiled and stopped shaking. That night she fell asleep in my arms, the last woman who fell asleep in theses arms, I have her picture on my bedside table.

I told Grell to get me her to-die list from the past two days. From the look of it, she had more souls to collect then she could bare, between 15 to 30. "Are you going to intervene," Grell asked. "No, not with the heads, but with her."

💀🖤time skip🖤💀

Victoria's POV:

When I got home, dinner for me was wine and bone biscuits. "Victoria I think I've figured out why you've been having nightmares." Dad came around the corner with his big smile. "Alright, talk to me." "Maybe it's the souls your collecting, have you been collecting too many?" He asked. I slumped in my seat, "I did collect twenty-five today." "No dearie," Undertaker looked through his robe and brought out two to-die list,"you've been collecting between 15 to 30." I tried snatching them back, "who gave then to you?" "Hehe, well the name rhymes with bell."
That idiot.
"Dad you have to give those back before—" he crossed his arms over his chest, "I'll give them back, after you've told me why you've collected so many of them. Because too many souls in one day can drive you mad." It was time for a father daughter talk.

"I didn't exactly have a choice, dad. New recruits came in and reapers had to teach them. And so names on their list got placed into other list. Will told me not to worry that this happens sometimes."
He reached out for my hand. "Well I worried. My little reaper was having nightmares and I just couldn't bare to see you in tears." Those hands that touch corpses now touched mine. "If you ever have nightmares again, Victoria, just spend the rest of the night with me." I nodded my head, "I will."

💀🖤that same night🖤💀

I slowly opened the door trying not to wake him. "Mmmm, you better hope this's the last nightmare," he said. "Well you jinxed it." I got into bed, "you never told me about going back to Claudia." He facepalmed. "*sigh* If I must. I went back at the next party and when she saw me I led her to the garden. Once we were finally alone she slapped me. She had the right to since she didn't know." I tried to keep my eyes open, "then what happened?" "Well, I told her I was a Grim Reaper, and on the walk back inside she took it better then hearing that she was guardian of the underworld now." Guardian of the underworld . . . I'll ask him another day. "*yawn* and then?"
He started stroking my arm.
"And then we danced. Every time something formal was happening at her house we danced. One night I said, "Forget all sad feelings. Would you like to party with me all night, dancing? Graceful Lady Phantomhive?" I could picture him saying that and with her in his arms. "What did she . . . say?" He stroked my cheek.
"She said, "lead the way reaper."