2: Child of the Wind 02

A hush fell over the examination room. The only sound was the scratch of pen nibs sliding across white test paper.

The walls were white, and the soft radiance from the light fixtures overhead pooled silently on the desks.

Outside, the rain fell harder and harder.

Da-da-da-da. The raindrops fell from high in the clouds, striking the stone slabs on the ground with a sound of diffused agitation, but it was hampered by the door and didn't intrude into the examination room.

Knock knock knock.

There was a rap on the door, then it was pulled open halfway.

In an instant the noise outside became much clearer. The sound of rain rushed in.

The man at the door lifted his eyes.

The teenager's short black hair was wet, and his school uniform shirt had been washed so many times the color was faded. He stood in the doorway of the classroom.

Half of his sleeves were soaked by rain, as were his trouser legs. His other hand held a transparent umbrella slightly tilted, and his long fingers squeezed the handle to fold it up. Cold rivulets of rain slid down the clear surface of the umbrella. The water coalesced into a small puddle on the dark ground.

With the curtain of rain as a background, when viewed from a distance it seemed like countless light sources were all focused on him.

"Sorry, teacher, I'm late."

His voice was faint. Intermingled with the sound of the rain, its timbre was as cold as jade.

"You're not allowed to enter fifteen minutes after the start of the exam."

—It had been more than thirty minutes now.

The invigilator inside the classroom frowned and glanced at the time on his watch. Then he walked over and pulled the door closed in front of the boy. As he spoke through the door, his voice had no mercy.

"Oh, yes. Students who are absent from the exam must go to the teaching director's office to write a self-review."

Many of the students in the classroom looked up one after another.

There were a lot of sightlines. Some were indifferent, some had worry written clearly on their faces, and some were gloating.

Zong Yan just stood by the door and pursed his lips. His eyes swept through the clear glass window. Then he silently turned his back, opened the umbrella, and walked into the rain again.

"Sh*t, look at him like that. What's he trying to pull?"

Ye JingMing looked back at Xia KeYan behind him. He wasn't surprised to find a faint expression of concern on her usually calm, unruffled face.

His fist tightened. He was so angry the pen almost flew from his hand.

"Ye Ge, don't get mad. Think about the physics final exam. Zero points in physics—the old devil will grill him to death."

On the opposite side, another of his little followers immediately lowered his voice to say something, but the next second the invigilator swept over a warning look. The boy's neck shrunk back and he dutifully shut up.

The examination room fell quiet again, as if what just happened was a perfectly ordinary incident.

But in the end it disturbed the mood of many students.

In Class 3 of year two, Zong Yan was an existence that didn't quite fit in.

In fact, this applied to all of Qingyang High School.