62: The Sun God 01

After Qingyang High School held its New Year's ceremony, the students eagerly looked forward to winter break.

Zong Yan, on the other hand, entered a state of self-imposed isolation.

The moment he got home, he sealed up his flute inside a box forever, fastened it with a steel lock, and shut himself in his room. He hardly saw anyone for days.

Zong Yan couldn't really be blamed for being so withdrawn. It was just that what happened at the New Year's ceremony was so devastating.

Everyone below the stage who heard the music was in a trance, with their brains completely vacant. Meanwhile Zong Yan was playing the flute on stage, completely oblivious.

Most terrible of all, the live broadcast continued. His music was transmitted to thousands of households on TV.

The conversion into electronic signals failed to diminish the effect of the terrifying sound. People unthinkingly stopped what they were doing and drifted towards the TV like wandering souls, staring with disoriented eyes at the live broadcast.

It was fortunate that Qingyang High School's New Year's ceremony didn't make it to the city's main TV station. Even so, its potency was astonishing.

As he played, Zong Yan gradually lost his nervousness and quietly peeked out at the audience. All he saw were his fellow students staring back at him with rapt eyes.

As a result, Zong Yan's confidence exploded. He executed several fancy flute tricks in a row, adding a variation to the Carmen Fantasy and improvising the melody a bit.

It was all thanks to the Great Old One Hastur. Otherwise he couldn't have adapted the song so perfectly.

After the song ended, Zong Yan drew the sword he was wearing on his back, twirled it twice in his hand, and slowly exited the stage to the sound of the background music.

Li Bai would be followed by Su Shi.

Backstage, Zong Yan returned the sword to the prop table and then wiped the sweat on his face with a few pieces of tissue paper.

He hadn't noticed it while performing, but after leaving the stage he realized that his palms were sticky from anxiety and tension. He almost couldn't hold the sword straight.

After he managed to calm down a bit he began to sense that something was wrong.

He should have heard the sound of Su Shi's poetry being recited on stage, but there was nothing. The only sound in the auditorium was the recorded background music.

What was going on?

Zong Yan originally intended to go change his clothes. He paused for a moment, walked up the steps to the side of the stage, and poked his head out from the curtain.

Then he saw Nyarlathotep's avatars occupying the first row of seats. All of them had delighted smiles on their faces, and the one in the white coat had collapsed onto the arm of his chair, laughing. Beside him was a gray-haired evil god wearing a white robe, lazily supporting his head with his hand. His golden eyes fell precisely on Zong Yan, who was peeking over at him.

But that wasn't the most important thing. The most important thing was that the floor of the auditorium was covered with a multitude of circular black ripples. It was like someone had spilled paint everywhere. In the dim stage lighting, it was an unsettling, evil color.

And... it seemed like something was about to cross through those circular ripples.

The lights were turned towards the stage because of the performance. Everything else was in darkness.