33: The King of Clouds 02

Zong Yan carefully put the card back into the spatial rift.

He sensed the San value required for this card was 60.

And the cost was for one hour, which meant that even if Zong Yan's San value was maxed out, he could only activate it once.

He estimated that an A-rank daily disposable persona card was about the same level as an A-class creature, and an S-rank card might be comparable to an ancient god.

As for Yun Zhong Jun—

Zong Yan opened his phone and searched for encyclopedia entries.

Yun Zhong Jun, worshipped in the Chu kingdom during the Warring States period, was a god who controlled the clouds.

In terms of deities, Chinese theology was a bit of a jumble. There was Buddhism which came from India and evolved; there was Taoism handed down locally; there were gods recorded in ancient texts like the 《Classic of Mountains and Seas》; ancient pantheons worshipped by the Yan and Huang dynasties; and folk myths headed by the Jade Emperor. In addition, there were gods worshipped during the pre-Qin period or early times, like the Jiu Ge mythological system.

According to the Jiu Ge, the supreme god was Taiyi, the Eastern Emperor. Belief in this supreme god was widespread in Chu during the Warring States period, and Emperor Wu of the Han Dynasty had also commanded civil and military officials to worship him. Yun Zhong Jun was a deity from the same pantheon. Unfortunately not much was known about it today.

A god... Zong Yan ventured to guess that an S-rank persona card would be equivalent to what Professor Darwin called an "Elder God".

Elder Gods were different from the Great Old Ones and the Outer Gods. They were the original gods of Earth. They were created from the myths of human beings and accepted worship and offerings. Overall, they were benevolent toward humans.

As he thought about it, Zong Yan continued to draw cards.

Last time he'd consumed too many San points, so he'd taken some time off, waiting for his points to recover in case there was an emergency.

Second draw, waste card.

Third draw, waste card.

Fourth draw... another daily disposable persona card.

He looked and saw that it was an E-rank daily disposable persona card. The person depicted on the card clearly had Zong Yan's face. Even his clothes were familiar, with the white shirt and uniform pants of Qingyang High School. The only difference was the person on the card had a transparent glass ball floating over his hand. Each use cost only 5 San points and lasted almost three hours. It was a bargain.

Sure enough, the lower the level of the persona card, the more basic it was. There wasn't even a hint of transformation. Higher-level persona cards not only came with a one-click costume change, they also let you swap your face.

Zong Yan thought his luck today was excellent. In the old days, he'd only been lucky enough to get a few low-level daily disposable persona cards, forget about high-level ones.

Could it be that being poked on the forehead by two evil gods granted an invisible luck bonus?

He didn't have much time to think about it, because the class bell rang. Zong Yan picked up his school bag from the desk and left the empty classroom.

And moments later, Zong Yan was subjected to the brutal stares of the crowd in the hallway as he walked from the empty classroom to senior Class 3.

The high school curriculum was intense, but Qingyang High School discouraged students from staying at their desks to do problems after class. The hallways of their school were quite spacious, so when class ended, most people would go to fill up their water bottles, then run back to their desks or go to the teacher's office to ask questions.