46: The King of Clouds 15

After the emergency meeting at MU, Zong Yan once again buried himself in a program of intense studying.

The emergency meeting didn't have much to do with him. Zong Yan probably would have focussed more on it before, but now he was surrounded by gods. Basically, he no longer had to worry about his personal safety.

His biggest priority was the college entrance exam. A third year high school student really shouldn't spend time on anything else.

The class teacher gave loud pep talks at the podium day after day. "Everyone needs to pay attention while studying, especially during the first round of review. Do you know how important it is to review after the first mock exam? There might be students who only get twenty or thirty points in physics or math. But if they pay close attention during the review lectures, they can easily make up for lost ground. Especially students with learning biases who do worse in certain subjects. All of you need to remember the importance of reviewing.

"Every one of you should take this to heart. I don't know how many times I've seen it in my classes. Students near the bottom can make a sudden leap. In the liberal arts track it's more difficult, but most students in the science track are active thinkers. A student can suddenly see the light if they study. I remember one year a student in Qingyang High School made a comeback. They made it to the top ten of science students in the entire province. Don't give up hope.

"The monthly exam is coming up. Study hard tomorrow. Don't get distracted because of field day and the school festival. The day after tomorrow and the next are the monthly exam. After the results come out I'll talk to each of you individually."

The students at the bottom began to wail.

"The results from this month's exam will be reported along with your midterms. I'll issue your report card at the parent-teacher conference."

...

Zong Yan was listening with his head down, his eyes half-shaded.

He was a little sleepy.

Life with evil gods was a little too exciting.

Every morning Zong Yan was woken by the Haunter of the Dark. This entity, by the way, was one of Nyarlathotep's many avatars. It was extremely averse to light and could only appear in darkness.

For Zong Yan to fall asleep, he had to turn out the lights. It was impossible for him to sleep with the lights on. But whenever the lights were off, there was a chance Nyarla would come to his room. Every day Zong Yan did homework until very late at night. As soon as his head touched the pillow he fell asleep. He didn't have time to play hide and seek.

The first morning it happened, Zong Yan was scared out of his wits and almost turned into Yun Zhong Jun on the spot. Later he just... got used to it.

Anyway, it wasn't like he could stop it. What else could he do?

And the evil god morning wake-up service was surprisingly effective.

"Father God, it's time to get up."

Zong Yan wrapped himself like a silkworm chrysalis and rolled over on the bed. His face was buried in the quilt, and the head of black hair that was visible was disheveled as a chicken's nest, wantonly sticking out.

Zong Yan was the type that couldn't stay up too late. If he forced himself to stayed awake doing homework, his sleep schedule would get squeezed, and the next day in school he'd collapse on his desk between classes, completely dazed.

Nyarlathotep tiptoed around the bed and approached him noiselessly. "If the Father doesn't want to get up, we can ask Yog to suspend time for a couple of hours."