Casey

I nervously watch the clock. Izzie told me she would be here at 7, and it is now almost 8. I check my phone again, but she hasn't called or texted yet. I toss it on my bed.

I start pacing around my room. I try not to think the worst, but I know that Izzie has been having a lot of problems with her mom's asshole boyfriend lately.

"Come on Izzie" I whisper to myself.
The doorbell rings, and I run down the stairs as fast as I can. I take a second to fix my shirt that is now askew, and open the door.

My stomach drops. I see Izzie, with puffy red eyes and tear stained cheeks, for a split second before she buries her face in my chest.
"Baby what's wrong?" I ask as I wrap my arms around her and kiss the top of her head.
Izzie doesn't answer me, she just shakes her head with her face still pressed to my chest and starts to sob.

I pull us both inside and shut the door, holding her as she sobs. I rub her back and press kisses to her head. I feel completely and utterly useless. My mind is racing, and I am terrified of whatever made Izzie this upset.

"Do you want to sit?" I ask.
Izzie still doesn't answer me, just continues to sob into my chest.

I wait a minute, I am so anxious about that I will do the wrong thing and make it worse. God I just want to fix whatever it is for Izzie. I would give anything right now to make her feel better.

I take a breathe and lift Izzie into my arms. She doesn't protest, she just presses her face into the crook of my neck and continues to sob.
I carry her carefully upstairs to my room.
***

I'm laying in my bed with Izzie wrapped tightly in my arms. I continue to rub her back, and I try to make soothing noises, or at least what I hope is soothing.

After what feels like an eternity, her sobs become more quiet, than stop. She is still breathing heavily, and I can't see her face as she still has it pressed into my neck.
"Iz?" I say quietly.

No response. I pull back slowly and carefully to look at her face, and realize she is asleep.
Her face is still red, and her eyes are swollen. Her nose is a little runny, and her hair is sticking to her forehead due to a mixture of tears and sweat.

I think she is beautiful. I love her so much. I take my sleeve and gently wipe Izzie's nose.
I gently press a kiss to each of her cheeks before pulling her close to me.
I don't want to wake her up, so I let her sleep and just hold her.
I'm still terrified of what made Izzie cry like that.