Casey

The weeks between our anniversary and my eighteenth birthday seem to fly by. Izzie and I are both so busy with separate track teams we only really see at each other at home late at night, and on the weekends. It sucks, but we are both anxious because we haven't heard from UCLA or any of the other schools we applied too yet.

The day before my birthday, Elsa pulls out two envelopes after dinner. "These came from UCLA this afternoon." She says, handing an envelope each to Izzie and I. We look at each other nervously. "On three?" Izzie says with a small smile. I nod. "One..two..three" Izzie says, and we each tear open our envelopes.

I skim the letter to find the important information. I find the words "accepted" and "pleased to offer you a full athletic scholarship for women's track". I grin and turn to Izzie who is still reading. She looks up at me and smiles. "Well did you get in?" I ask, feeling my heart rate accelerating. "Yes I got in, they are offering me a partial scholarship" Izzie says with a half smile. I feel my stomach drop. I know Izzie will have trouble affording college with a partial scholarship.

"Well you can apply for other scholarships, and financial aid" I hear Elsa chime in, and I smile at her, grateful for her butting in for once. Izzie smiles and nods "Yeah, I'll figure it out." She says. "Well?" Izzie says looking at me expectantly. "I got in as well." I say with a smile, not wanting to mention my full scholarship now. Izzie narrows her eyes at me, and snatches the letter from my hands. "Hey! Grabby!" I say, somewhat offended.

"Congratulations Casey" She says, smiling at me. "I'm proud of you" she says, reaching out to squeeze my hand before handing the letter to my parents. She's so sweet.
______
My birthday is overall uneventful. For once Elsa listens to me and doesn't throw a huge party. It winds up just being Izzie, Sam, Zahid, and Sharice hanging out with me that evening. Sam of course insists on making sure my birthday rituals are fulfilled for the year. When I start to complain, I see Izzie glare at me out of the corner of my eye. I decide it's not worth the fight, and go along with Sam.

Izzie gives me a new pair of running shoes for my birthday, as mine are starting to wear out again. She also gives me a much more personal gift much later that night in a dark empty parking lot, as both my parents and Sam are home from my birthday.
____
The weeks after my birthday quickly turn into months as time seems to fly by. School, track, homework, Izzie. This is my routine. Over and over it repeats. Before I know it, it's the month before Prom.

"Do you think I should do a promposal for Izzie? I know we are not at the same school, but still...." I say to Sharice as we walk together to our AP US Government class. "Hell yes! Oooh, how can I help?" She says excitedly, all but bouncing with excitement. As we pass Emma in the hall, Sharice glares into her soul. I try not to laugh, I appreciate the support but Sharice can be a bit intense sometimes.

"Umm I'm not sure" I say shrugging. I listen as Sharice starts to babble increasingly elaborate ideals including sky writing and hot air balloons. "Sharice, more realistic. I don't have that kind of money" I say as we enter the classroom. "Hmm let me think about it" Sharice says as we sit down, before we both turn our attention to the teacher.
_____
That afternoon after track practice, Sharice and I come up with a plan that is actually feasible. I hope Izzie likes it.

****
A/N: Just a short filler chapter. The next one should be longer. ❤️❤️❤️🌈