Chapter 4

"Hey can I ask you a question?" I ask Kate. I'm laying on my bed, folding a tiny piece of paper and making it even tinier, while Kate is facing the mirror getting ready to go to a party tonight at Alpha Sigma. She asked me to go with her, and even though I promised that I would, I just wasn't feeling it because of the conversation that I had with dad last night. Kate saw the tiredness and sadness on my face and immediately dropped it, not wanting to push me into going with her. That's what I love about her. She doesn't pry. I have too much shit going on in my life and it's refreshing not having to talk about it all the time. Of course I've told Kate some of the issues I have with my dad because it's nice to confide in someone, but I definitely keep most of the personal shit to myself.

Kate is finishing up her makeup when she replies, "What's up?" Putting her mascara away and fluffing up her hair to add volume, she turns her attention to me and smiles.

"If you didn't have good relationship with your parents, why did you decide to attend college in the same town?" Her smiles falls and now she's looking down.

I immediately add, "I mean, I only ask because you've told me stories about them and how they were so hard on you how you would always argue with them." I pause, "And you also told me that you got accepted into a performing arts school in New York. Why stay?" I hope that I'm not overstepping when asking this. I'm only curious because I absolutely despise my dad and I wanted to get as a far away from him as possible. Kate also can't stand her parents so I wonder why she decided to attend a school in the same vicinity as them?

Kate sighs and starts walking up to me to sit at the end of my bed. I sit up all the way to let her know that I'm listening. She then says, "You're right. I did get accepted into a performing arts school in New York and I was this close," she pushes her pointer finger and thumb together to show them nearly touching, "to going because I couldn't wait to get out of this stupid town. My parents were never on my side on anything and sometimes, they would pretend I'm not even there. Which is funny considering on how strict they were about what I could and couldn't do." she lets out breathy laugh, "But the look I saw on their faces when I told them that I was going to go to New York, they looked so....hurt. And it broke me. I may not have gotten along with them and I may never will, but that look on their faces did something to me. I'm not a very selfish person and knowing me, I just knew I was going to miss them too much if I actually were to leave. So I decided to stay. And we ended up working things out. I now smile when I see them calling me." she's looking down at her hands playing with the hem of her dress and she's smiling like she's really happy that she's finally gotten to connect with her parents.

"That sounds so nice" I smile at her not knowing what else to say. I wish I had that. I never met my mom. My dad told me that my mom left us when I was two. But, he's also told me that she died from a freak accident. I sometimes wish for the latter because I would hate to think that she left me with my father. My father isn't a good man, and if she did actually leave us, leave me, than I wish she was dead. But deep down I hope she isn't. I would like to meet her one day.

I'm suddenly snapped out of my train of thought by Kate asking about my father. "How was the phone call with your dad last night?" She asked, now putting on her black heels that match her spaghetti strapped black dress that stops mid thigh.

"It was good." I lied. She doesn't know the depths about my situation with my dad, only what I want her to know. "He was just asking how my first day of school was. You know, parent stuff" I do a little laugh to lighten the mood a bit. I really don't want to be in my dorm room all night. But I also don't feel like going to a party. Maybe I'll go to the coffee shop and start on my statement for my business class.

"Well that's good. I'm glad he's acting like a parent for once" She squeezes my knee giving me a tight smile. If only she knew.

"Yeah...I'm actually going to go to the coffee shop to do some school work. I don't feel like being cooped up in here all night." I start getting up from my bed and grabbing my school bag. Once I put on my shoes I realized something. "You know, I never see you do any school work." I stare at her with a raised brow. She laughs, "Well nosy ass, I actually do the majority of my school work in class since I only have three classes." Right. Her parents made her take some courses during the summer so she could be ahead. Now I feel stupid.