FIVE 🌸

Cartoon Network seemed to be the go-to channel in the Maines household

Cartoon Network seemed to be the go-to channel in the Maines household. I liked that, it wasn't at all triggering.

I lay, feet up on the U-shaped sofa with a chunky knit throw draped over my legs. Henry sat on the opposite side, enthralled in Dexters Laboratory.

Since my arrival he has never spoken to me, he hasn't even acknowledged that I've moved in and I'm starting to take it a little personally but then again, I haven't really seen him talk to anyone.

Jamie burped like he was trying to blow up Russia. I coiled back in disgust and tsked with my tongue - to which he then took great pleasure in wafting the air towards me with the flick of his hand.

Cam propped his feet up on the coffee table, not really paying attention to the television but scrolling mindlessly through his phone and Chloe painted her toe nails.

I had slipped into this morning routine. Shower, breakfast, Cartoon Network, school bus. It ran like clockwork daily.

Dare I say it, but I was becoming comfortable living in the Maines household. I waited for them to reveal their true selves to me, but they never seemed to mess up.

Liam was a big-time soccer player who trained hard daily, Olivia owned a therapy clinic downtown, yet somehow they still managed to balance family and work to perfection.

They were nice and all but the feeling of unsettlement still gnawed at my insides. I knew Janet was eventually going to come and rip me away from this family and I would be forced back into a life of someone picking out my clothes, alienating me from my friends, punishing my sins and brainwashing me to stay innocent.

The early morning sun was obstructed by layers of thick clouds, giving the whole atmosphere a rainy, dull appearance. The coldness lingered, stinging my face but the velvety lining of my coat hugged my body like a blanket.

"Enjoy your bus ride Fearne." Jamie shouted to me as he trekked through the thin layer of glimmering frost coating the floor. My eyes narrowed at him mercilessly and my teeth chattered together. Cameron grabbed a fist full of my coat and tugged me along.

"Ignore him he rides with Arlo most days." Cam rolled his eyes.

I watched Jamie walk off, two huge houses, built on the same land, sharing one driveway. One was belonged to the Maines family, the other belong to ... Arlo?

Arlo. The name of my mystery kisser.

The ghoul who has been haunting my dreams for the past few nights. With his dreamy eyes and enchanting lashes. His flirtatious comments and smooth voice, his dangerous lips - able to spell me into submission because I was attracted to him.

I was so damn attracted to him he made my heart beat, my pulse quicken and my palms clammy. He made me feel alive with emotion, mostly anger - but still, I got butterflies around him. He sent them soaring around my stomach like a damn tornado.

"Fearne, you coming?" Cameron snapped me out of my daydream. I nodded and skipped along to catch up to him.

The bus was already waiting at the stop so I plugged my earphones in and shut out the world, wishing I could drive but unfortunately I never stayed in one place long enough to learn.