THIRTY FOUR 🌸

It rang for a while

It rang for a while.

I don't know why I expected him to be waiting by the phone but my heart started to clench the longer it rang. I was starting to think he wasn't going to answer my call until eventually it stopped ringing.

"What?" Not the response I wanted.

"I need you, come pick me up." I carried on walking, no idea where I was heading but I just wanted to get away from the noise. I heard him sigh.

"I'm not an Uber." His voice sounded raspy, like I had just woke him up. It was cute.

"Please Arlo, I'm all alone and I need you." I sat down on a curb and twirled a strand of grass around my finger. I could hear movements from his end and I wondered what he was doing.

"Fuck sake! Where are you?" I smiled at how unhappy he sounded. "Where are you?" He repeated impatiently.

"I've shared my location with you." I threw a stone across the road and watched it bounce and rattle against the damp tarmac.

"You're not drunk are you? I don't want you to be sick in my car." I tutted with my tongue.

"I haven't touched a drop, stone cold sober." I lied, with a really, really serious voice.

"I'll be there in ten minutes." He hung up the phone.

I could hear the music from the party about a mile up the road but the dark street was otherwise abandoned. After a little while his car pulled up, a slick white Audi A7 with beaming headlights.

Please don't be sick in his fancy car.

I slipped into the passenger seat, enclosed with that new car smell. He kept both hands gripped on the steering wheel and his face pointing towards the open road.

No products on his curls made them wild, he had his sweatpants on and a T-shirt but his feet pressed the pedals with no shoes, just stark white socks.

"How fast did you leave if you didn't have time to put shoes on?" Slowly he turned to me, balled his hands into fists and rubbed his tired eyes.

"You woke me up." He grunted out. "I had to climb down the drainpipe to get out of my room cause they lock me in." What? "And after the hotel I'm on watch while they adjust my meds."

He started driving and silence filled the gaps, with him I hated that silence. It made me nervous.

"Lexi told me what happened." I noted his eyes flick my way momentarily and then he squirmed in his seat. "I thought you had a thing with her because you're so close but then she explained why." He shook his head but kept his eyes on the road.

"With Lexi it's easy." What does that mean? "I know nothing is ever going to happen between us because she's basically my cousin so I can be myself with her."