FIFTY SEVEN 🌸

I HATED him and his stupid copper, ear piercing whistle

I HATED him and his stupid copper, ear piercing whistle. "Get in the water Grimes!" He yelled and then blew off our ear drums with another high pitched blow. "Maines!" he shrieked. "Sadler! Peers!" 

One by one calling out names to get into the water and complete some deathly inflatable obstacle course. I could taste iron in my throat, it was from biting my lip too hard and swallowing back the blood. I tugged the rubber bands on my wrist. Reminding myself mentally it wasn't that deep but that didn't stop me from being terrified.

"Does this bikini show my ass cheeks?" Lexi asked, she was wearing a tiny black number. I looked down at her butt, it was practically a thong.

"Yes." I confirmed.

"Does it look good?" I blinked at her slowly and then leaned back to have another look at her ass. If my father could see me now, checking out a girls backside there would be no hope in hell for me. It was tight, round and perky. Of course it looked good.

"Yes." I confirmed again.

She smiled proudly to herself. It baffled me how she had the confidence to wear something so minimal, here I was in shorts and a tank top feeling naked but then again, I didn't have her body or her attitude.

"Why is he taking so long, just get me in the water for Christ sake." We both turned to cam who seemed unusually agitated. He side-glanced at us and pressed his lips together in dismay.

"I hate wearing this swimming costume. I feel like such a guy in it. You can see my junk. I hate it. I hate myself. I want it off." Automatically I wanted to look down but I fought the urge.

"Why don't you start transitioning?" Lexi asked him.

"Where would I get the money for that?" He snapped, clearly not in the right mood for this conversation.

"Liam?" She shrugged like it was the most obvious answer. Cam just shook his head, dismissing it without much thought.

I got it, she didn't get it. We couldn't just ask our foster parents for money, especially not on that level. They're not obligated to pay for us. They get a set amount, a small amount to see us through. Lexi had no idea of the types of people out there caring for kids. Liam and Olivia were genuinely one of the good ones, the best even. If we pushed our luck too far they would throw us to the curb with the rest of the garbage.

"Adams-Taylor! Rosenberg! Stewart!" The coach shouted our way.

"Finally!" Cam grunted.

They walked ahead of me, effortlessly climbing into the water. My feet stuck to the dry dirt like they were glued in place.

"Move it Rosenberg, we don't have all day!" He yelled super close to my ear.

My footsteps grew shorter the closer I got to the riverbank. I glanced at Arlo who stood in the water with his team on the other side of the obstacle course. He was talking to Carlton and I could tell they were flirting. Arlo moved his finger down Carlton's chest and he wore a huge smile. Neither of them paying attention to me.