FIFTY SIX 🌸

PANCAKES AND watermelons was the breakfast choice this morning, my eyes scoured the dining hall until they settled on Cameron

I sat down at his table and took my plastic fork and knife out of the paper wrapping. It was only a small hall, nothing like the school cafeteria. A little wooden place where the light beamed in through the thin windows giving the whole room a natural warmth.

"Ben snores and he sleeps with this bandaid thing across his nose which is meant to help but doesn't and I've honestly not slept a wink in two days." Cameron washed his complaint down with freshly pulped orange juice.

"You could probably sleep in Arlos bed, it's not like he's used it since we got here." I shoved pancake into my mouth and chewed, it tasted rubbery.

"Why, where does Arlo sleep?" I stopped chewing and swallowed, hard.

"Uh... he sleep walks I guess. I dunno." Cam turned to face Arlo, he sat at the very back of the room, surrounded by people. Currently he was tucking Kiras hair behind her ear and whispering something into her neck.

"I'll go ask him." Cam stood up and instantly my head bowed so low my nose almost pierced my watermelon. I started rapidly eating just to look busy.

"Hey Arlo" shit. "Can we swap rooms since you spend the nights sleep walking anyway?" I peeked up a little, Arlo was looking right at me. Double shit.

"You sleep walk?" Jamie asked.

"Yeah, I guess I do." Arlo admitted through gritted teeth.

"Ooooh you little freak!" Eli joked "We're so setting up cameras in your room tonight to see what wacky shit you get up to."

"The fuck you are, I'm not a fucking animal at the zoo." He shut them down immediately. "But yeah sure Cam, whatever."

"Great!" Cam bounced off with a spring to his step and I gathered up my remaining food to take out. "Where are you going?" He asked me as he sat back in his seat.

"For a shower."

Shower block 3 had old worldly mechanics and noisy pipe work but the water was warm. I lathered sudsy soap into my body and caressed my hair underwater. The steam gathered in every area of the room and droplets fell around my toes.

There was a calm within me. Last night I faced the trials and I was still here. I didn't get struck by lightening or condemned by Satan. Rather I slept well, the best sleep I've had in a long time and now I felt relaxed, sated. Last night the nightmares were vanquished and my troubles were far away.

I shut off the water pulling on a rusty lever that took most of my strength. The nozzle ran to a merciless drip before coming to a complete stop and then I rapidly patted myself dry, rubbed my hair and dressed in comfortable clothing.

It was warm today, the breeze shifted my wet locks slightly and the sun broke through the early morning  clouds in rays of golden-yellow. I pushed opened my door and froze in the door way.