FIFTY ONE 🌸

HE WAS a blanket of warmth as the cooler early-morning temperatures enclosed around us

HE WAS a blanket of warmth as the cooler early-morning temperatures enclosed around us. His arms cradled my body, his legs twisted with mine. Enveloped in him I felt safe, like my father was a million miles away and I was untouchable.

"Hey" he whispered, his voice raspy and sexy. I looked up at him and smiled. I couldn't help it, I beamed from my head to my toes. Thankful we had made up, thankful he was here tangled up in my sheets. 

"Hey." He pulled me closer, allowing me to rest my head on his chest. Waves of unusual elation washed through me. His settled breathing, the warmth of his chest through his T-shirt and the steady rate of his heartbeat all contributed to my calm.

"You kept stealing my covers all night, it was annoying." I propped my head up to look at that cheeky smirk which I loved so much. Tingles shot from my tummy to my chest, like magical shooting stars slicing through the galaxy.

"You literally invaded my personal space, climbed into my bed uninvited and then complain that I stole your blankets?" He chuckled, his whole body vibrating against mine and the crushing reality that this wouldn't last swept unwanted into my thoughts.

My phone started buzzing against the bedside table, sounding like the wheels of a steam train against the track. He rolled his eyes and sighed.

"They've noticed I'm missing, I can't just pretend to be a normal teenager for five minutes." My whole body stiffened in fear.

"What will they do? They'll think something happened between us." I moved away from him quickly, getting out of bed and putting distance between us because in my mind, now, everyone could see us. Everyone was speculating on what happened last night. Questioning my innocence, believing I was a slut. The phone rung off.

"It's okay." He promised, rolling onto his side and holding himself up on his elbow. "When you're mentally ill they actually like it when you do things a normal teenager would do, like sneaking off to go sleep in a girls bedroom. It kinda gives me a free pass." His voice was smooth, soft and relaxing like a saxophone. It should've calmed me, but it didn't.

"Well I haven't got a free pass!" I glanced down at the phone. "It's ringing again."

"Answer it." He said with an encouraging smile, like this amused him.

"Fearne?" Liams voice was on the other end, oozing in seriousness and worry.

"Yeah?" The worry was not lost in my own voice.

"Um... Arlo is missing, you haven't seen him, have you?" Arlo smirked at me, obviously over hearing the conversation. I glanced at him.

"Yeah, he's here."

"Oh" awkward silence. "Well is he... okay?" Arlo rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, he's fine. Nothing happened, I swear. We just talked and he stayed the night but nothing happened. He just slept next to me." I panicked and words fell out of my mouth like a knocked over bag of Skittles. I hope they believe me. Arlo laughed and flung himself back down on the bed.