FIFTY TWO 🌸

INSECTS CHIRPED and buzzed all around me, Lexi complained the whole way up the mountain about bug bites and every now and again she would slap her own legs making me wince

"This is so dumb, why are we climbing this mountain?" I rested against a large rock and took a drink from my water bottle, honestly unable to answer that question. "I'm gonna go give that principal a piece of my mind." She stormed ahead pushing through every member of our group. I continued drinking and catching back my breath.

Until I felt a hand grip around my arm from behind me. My hair swished around with my rapid head movement and whacked him in the face. He blinked, a little dazed and sputtered but didn't falter his smile.

"Run away with me." I glanced ahead at our group. The principal was getting a right ear full from Lexi, the chaperones were hungover and useless, nobody else paid any attention to me. "This way" he laughed, tugging me away from the crowds.

He led me higher, hand in hand and strewed from the mountain path everybody else was taking. Sticks and leaves crunched beneath our feet and I inhaled an alleviating breath of spring time air, gazing at the view.

Clouds drifted weightlessly away in the distance, we were lost amid the chorus of trees that sung notes of the brightest greens but that didn't matter because with him I was found.

He let go of my hand and sat down on the uneven ground, crossing his legs at the knees and tugging mindlessly at a strand of grass. I copied him.

"So, what you wanna do?"

With the ask of that question my eyes instantly fell to his lips. I couldn't help it. That's what I wanted to do. He laughed making my eyes shoot back up to his eyes. Thick, inky lashes fluttered above warm brown eyes which reflected in them the amber rays of Tuesdays afternoon sun.

"I dunno. What do you want to do?" I asked nonchalantly, feeling myself blush, my cheeks instantly becoming molten hot because of the damn nervousness swirling against my insides.

"I-" He raked one hand through my hair, pushing it all back over my shoulder and brought his face closer to mine, resting our foreheads together. "Want to kiss you." His lips hovered above mine, close but still not close enough to touch. "Can I kiss you?" He whispered.

Don't ask me.
I'll have to say no.

At my hesitation he pulled back a few inches to see my face, to look me in the eye. He was confused. I could tell by the small bumps troubling his brows. I understood his confusion, the signs were there. The tension was thick but now he had given me the choice and I couldn't admit that I wanted it. I screwed my eyes closed tightly, hating myself, hating him for asking me to consent.