三十七 numb

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗠𝗢𝗥𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗪𝗔𝗦 𝗖𝗢𝗟𝗗 𝗔𝗡𝗗 gloomy with a brisk wind sweeping the snow across the land . Yuriko sit still on her spot and continue to just stare at one of her beloved’s face with empty eyes .

           it is a ray of light in the darkness , a shade between sadness and despair , showing the possibility of consolation . everyone in the room continue to sobs and sniffs ── but not the grandmother .

          although she didnt shed tears , but her frowning face express a lot about what she’s feeling inside . the first snow had begun to fall lightly—tiny crystals hardly visible in the light of the lamp across the street .

           her grandfather was very ill , to the point his breath stop this morning . the news of course shook the whole household and family . even the Kai’s parents came from afar to mourn this death .

         many people attended the funeral despite not having a blood connection to her late grandfather . Matsuo , her manager is there . even Senju , Wakasa and Benkei .

          Wakasa and Senju keep looking back and forth between Yuriko and Samuru . both feel concern about their wellbeing especially Wakasa . he frown now and then whenever he gaze at Yuriko ── he wanted to hug her , comfort her , kiss her again — if that makes her feel better .

            recalling back to the last moment with her grandfather , his last words still ringing inside Yuriko’s head as if he’s still there . . .

       “this is his last straw . .”

         in a soft and low tone voice , he whispered a name . loud enough for the staffs inside the room to hear. “Asami ?”

        the doctor and nurses were questioning amongst themselves who’s name did he whispered . but one of the nurse who’s very familiar with the old man’s family members , called out for Yuriko to enter . the staffs left the room to give them a moment together . their last moment together .

          “do you have to leave ?” Yuriko questioned . she was unable to hide her tears anymore . the sadness in her voice made her grandfather to felt bad , but he cant do anything about his fate .

          “i apologize . . you will be fine right ?”

          “you have Samuru afterall . .”

          ‘i still dont want you to leave . .’ she whimpered under her breath , wiping her tears now and then using her sleeve . her grandfather on the other hand , began to smiled warmly although he doesnt have much time left . “Asami , let me tell you something”–

       she snap from her daydream and is feeling a bit overwhelm when a tear slip from her eye . she quickly wipe it off and pretend nothing happend . while her grandmother who’s sitting on the mat is going through her old wedding photos , humming a tone of her late-husband’s favorite song ── enjoying the wind and cold weather .

          “obaa-san ?”

           “yes , Asami ?”

            she’s so calm .

            so calm that it pains Yuriko’s heart .

          “why you didnt cry ?”

           her question earn a sad smile from her grandmother , her wrinkles face . as she look up to the sky , she say──

        “while we’re wilting down here , they are happy to meet more of our loved ones up there .”

       her grandfather said his last words , with his last breath , in his last moment — to her .

         and her final words made her eyes widened .