Soulmates- Din Djarin

~~~~~~My brow furrowed in concentration as I added the finishing touches to the piece I had been working on

~~~~~~
My brow furrowed in concentration as I added the finishing touches to the piece I had been working on. Ornate flowering vines twisting up the woman's calf. I wiped the fresh tattoo a few times and sat back to admire my work.

"All done," I said. "What do you think?"

My client adjusted so she could better see her tattoo in the set of mirrors that made up the entire wall to my left. A smile broke out across her face. "I love it."

She paid me what was do and left with a big smile on her face.

The clock on the wall beeped, signaling it was midnight and time for me to close. I was the owner and only worker of this small tattoo ship on Corellia. I had built this business from the ground up and I was proud of it. It wasn't easy to maintain a living on this planet. It could be cruel, especially to those who were completely alone.

I pressed a button on the control panel located on the back wall and all the windows locked and the metal blinds closed over them.

A knock at the door nearly made me jump out of my own skin. Through the glass door I could see the silhouette of an armored figure standing in the near darkness outside.

"I'm closed," I called out to the mysterious figure at my doorstep. I didn't take customers after midnight. No exceptions. I wanted sleep and I still had to clean up the shop before I could do that, and that would take another hour.

The man knocked again.

I released a heavy sigh and marched across the room to the door, my boots thudding against the concrete floors. It wasn't the first time I had to deal with people who couldn't respect my business. I opened the door just a crack. "I said, I'm closed. Come back tomorrow at four and I can help you then."

"It'll only be just a moment," the man responded. His voice was deep and gruff through the mask and he sounded hurried.

"I don't take walk-ins either," I responded. "Appointment only." I moved to close the door but he stuck a gloved hand through it.

"Please," he said. He slowly moved the door open another inch. "It'll only be a minute."

With a sigh, I released the door and took a small step back, allowing him into my shop. "What can I help you with?"

He closed the door behind him as he walked in. Now that he was standing fully in the light I could see his armor more clearly. A mandalorian. A rare sight on this planet. An even rarer sight in my tattoo shop.

"I hear you can remove tattoos," he stated.

I nodded. Tattooing and tattoo removal were part of my business. "That's what it says on the sign outside," I replied. "Pricing varies depending on size of the tat and how long it takes me to remove it. If you come really early tomorrow-"

I didn't have a chance to finish my sentence.

"I need it gone now. I'm leaving the planet first thing in the morning," the mandalorian explained. "And I'm told you can remove... certain tattoos... in a discreet manner."

It instantly clicked what he was asking of me. Made sense that a mandalorian would want his soulmate tattoo removed.

It wasn't unheard of for people to seek out tattoo artists to remove or cover up their soulmate marks. Not everyone wanted a designated lover to spend the rest of their lives with. I had only removed one other mark before. I never thought I'd be asked to do it again.

"That's going to cost a lot of credits, mando," I said.

"I've got credits. Can you do it?"

The proposition churned in my mind for a few brief moments. It was an awful lot of credits. I needed credits.

Moments later, the mandalorian was in the tattoo chair. He removed the glove from his right hand and pulled up his sleeve a small bit to reveal his soulmate tattoo.

My blood ran cold. My body stiffened.

"Is something wrong?" He asked.

I shook my head quickly. "No, nothing," I said quickly. "It'll be one thousand credits."

He gave a nod, letting me know I could go on with the removal of his soulmate tattoo. The one on his wrist that matched my own. The sleeves of my shirt covered it up, which I was grateful for.

The mando was a man of few words. He sat on the edge of the chair as if he was ready to run at any second. I assumed that in his line of work he always had to be ready to run.

I snapped out of my daze and grabbed the small gadget used for tattoo removal. It was a sleek handheld device that contained a laser. The laser would break apart the bits of ink into tiny pieces. The immune system could break it down from there.

For a moment I sat there with the metal tool in my hand, doing nothing and saying nothing. I could show him my tattoo and then I'd have my soulmate. I wouldn't be alone anymore. But by coming in here and asking for a removal, the mandolorian had made it clear he wasn't interested in a soulmate.

Perhaps he already had a lover. Perhaps he was too busy for one. Either way his mind was made up, and I wasn't about to change it.

I switched on the machine and carried on with what I was being paid to do. It wasn't a large tattoo, which meant it was a quick removal. All I could think about during the entire process was telling him who I was, showing him my tattoo, and getting to know him.

I did none of those things and when I finished, I received the money I was owed and the mandalorian left without another word.

Maybe the universe would guide us back together in the future. Or maybe not now that I had removed his mark. I didn't know. I did know that the memory of our short time together would plague me for the rest of my life.

~~~~
Kind of depressing, I know. I hope you enjoyed it anyways.

Do I have any stranger things fans reading this?
I'm thinking about writing some stranger things fanfics.