Silver Springs- Cal Kestis

The song I attached is what inspired me to write this

The song I attached is what inspired me to write this. So enjoy!
~~~

I never wanted to compete with Merrin for Cal's affection. I had loved him from the moment we pulled him onto the Mantis, rescuing him from the hell scape that was the junkyards in Bracca.

We trained together, did missions together, and became fast friends.

I looked across the bar to see Merrin holding onto Cal's arm. I took another sip of my drink. Maybe if I got drunk enough I would be able to get over it. The bartender came over and topped off my drink. I pulled a few credits from my pocket and slide them across the counter. He nodded his thanks and pocketed the money before moving on to the next person.

My eyes scanned the rest of the bar. It was rather crowded tonight. A pair of Twi'lek women were on stage doing a very bad rendition of a popular song on karaoke. The men in the bar were eating it up. Greez was at the poker table, feeding into his gambling addiction. Cere was looking over his shoulder and making sure he didn't lose too much money.

The two women on stage finished their song. They stumbled off the stage, giggling and being trailed by a few men who did enjoy their performance. The mic stood alone on the stage now. Cal's laughter reached my ears, sending me over the edge.

I slammed my now empty drink on the metal counter and got up to my feet. I didn't quite realize where they were taking me until I was already up on the stage. A few people looked at me curiously but otherwise went about their business as I adjusted the mic.

There was no band and no music in the background so it would just be me. I hadn't sang in front of anyone before. Hadn't sang in years but that didn't matter. I was angry. Furious. And this was the only healthy way I knew to get it out at the moment.

"You could be my silver spring, blue green colors flashing. I would be your only dream."

My voice was quiet and unsteady at first. I suddenly felt everyone turning to look at me.

"Don't say that she's pretty. And did you say that she loved you? Baby, I don't wanna know."

I avoided Cal's gaze although he was staring dead at me with Merrin at his side. I harbored no ill feelings towards her. It wasn't her fault that we had fallen for the same man. How could I blame her for loving him when I loved him so strongly myself? She loved him for all the same reasons I did.

"Time cast a spell on you but you won't forget me. I know I could've loved you, but you wouldn't let me."

My voice was growing more confident now. A small crowd had formed at the foot of the stage, people swayed and sang along with me.

"I'll follow you down til the sound of my voice will haunt you."

Cal had taken a few steps closer. Merrin remained in her spot, looking at me with a mixture of emotions I didn't quite recognize. I was finally admitting aloud that she had won. I couldn't make Cal stop loving her, even though I'd give anything to.

"You'll never get away from the sound of a woman that loves you. Was I such a fool? I'll follow you down til the sound of my voice will haunt you."

I closed my eyes and held onto the microphone, pouring all of my feelings into the lyrics.

"You'll never get away from the sound of a woman that loves you."

It would be hard to remain on the Mantis with the crew. Maybe it would've been better if I did leave. But I couldn't abandon this mission. Defeating the empire was the most important thing. More important than my own feelings.

I knew I was going to regret this in the morning but right then it didn't matter. This was the happiest I had felt all week.

"Time cast a spell on you but you won't forget me. I know I could've loved you but you would not let me. I'll follow you down til the sound of my voice will haunt you."

~~~

Another short chapter while I work on some longer stuff. This one is a little different than what I usually do but I heard this song and wanted to do something with it.