Chapter 3

Several hours later they arrived at the mansion and Ashley was blown away. The mansion was huge, especially compared with the orphanage and the Pitfield house both of which had been rather small. Devon led them inside and Bonnie showed her to her room, explaining that she and Michael would have to have a blood test the next day to confirm or deny whether or not they were related.

Her new room was cream like the rest of the mansion with a large queen size bed, grey sheets, red blankets and a matching duvet. There was a walk in wardrobe and a mahogany chest of draws along with a study table by the window overlooking the driveway. When Bonnie left to get Ashley a pair of pyjamas Ashley thought she heard shouting coming from downstairs and she snuck out of her room and to the top of the staircase to try and eavesdrop.

'Come on Michael, how could you not remember getting together with someone and having a daughter?!' Devon yelled. 'Maybe it was just a one night stand when you were still Michael Long.'

'Devon you know me, I would never do that!'

'You're right I'm sorry, but how could this have happened?' Devon asked calming down.

'She's probably not even my daughter, she might have miss heard and thought they said knight or they might have said in a different context. We don't know! Jennifer could be lying to us.' Ashley didn't get to hear the rest as Bonnie started coming back so she ducked into her room.

'Here you go, fresh pyjamas.' Bonnie smiled as she laid them on the bed.

'Thank you Bonnie.'

'You're welcome. See you in the morning.'

'Goodnight.' Then Bonnie left, closing the door behind her. Ashley got changed and climbed into the queen size bed and within minutes was fast asleep

The next morning Devon was awake earlier than usual, he was ashamed of the way he had acted the night before. He wanted to apologise to Michael, after all Michael was one of his closest friends and he should be helping him find out what happened and how he now has a daughter. He left his bedroom and headed down to his office, surprised when he saw Bonnie there waiting for him.

'Hello Bonnie, what can I do for you?' He asked cheerfully.

'I need to borrow money from the foundation.'

'Oh. What for and how much?'

'Fifty dollars to go and buy Ashley some new clothes.'

'Alright here's eighty, take it and go buy whatever she wants.' He handed her eighty dollars.

'Well Devon, I've never seen you eager to spend money before.' Bonnie smirked.

'I think she deserves a treat after yesterday.' He smiled and turned to open his door.

'I think you're right.' She nodded then headed upstairs to find the mansion's newest resident.

'Thanks Devon.' Devon turned round to face Michael.

'You're welcome, Michael, and I'm sorry about the way I acted last night.'

'It's fine, last night I tried to remember if I'd ever done anything in the past, but I just can't.' He sighed. 'There's just no way she can be my daughter.'

'Maybe the blood test will reveal more.' Devon suggested. They walked into his office where two needles had been placed on his desk along with several blood sample bottles. They sat down and waited for Bonnie and Ashley.

Ashley woke late and as she looked around at the unfamiliar room she began to panic, until the memories of the day before came flooding back to her. Michael had rescued her and this was some place called the Foundation for Law and Government. She sighed and decided to get dressed, that was when she remembered she didn't have any clothes except for the ones she was wearing yesterday so she put them back on again and was about to head downstairs when Bonnie showed up.