Chapter 14

The next morning Ashley woke early to the smell of a delicious breakfast, she rubbed her eyes and sat up stretching her arms above her head. She got out of the bed and went over to the wardrobe Ashley, unlike her father, had always been a morning person. She chose a plain teal t-shirt and a pair of black jeans, then she left her room and went downstairs barefoot. She was looking forward to seeing Bonnie and Michael after what her Dad had said last night she hoped he would tell her how he felt about her. However before she got to the kitchen she ran into Devon who asked her to come into his office.

'What is it Mr Miles?' She asked curiously, it was then that she realised that her throat was slightly sore.

'I wanted to tell you that I have done some research into your past and while I couldn't find out who your mother is I did find out when your birthday is.' He said noticing a flicker of annoyance in the girls eyes as he said he hadn't found anything. However she lit up when he said about her birthday.

'When is it?' She asked excited.

'The 14 of July.' He replied.

'Thank you, Mr Miles.' She said then she ran out to go and get her breakfast.

Devon was happy that he had pleased the little girl and at the same time he was disappointed that he hadn't been able to tell her more, but while he thought Bonnie's idea to give the paper to KITT to see if he could read it was brilliant it was also a risk that KITT might tell Michael what he was trying to do. So he let it go, at least for the moment and went to join the other in the kitchen.

When he walked in he saw that Ashley was sitting next to Jennifer with Michael and RC sitting opposite them. He was surprised that Bonnie wasn't there, she was normally an early riser and she often beat everyone else down to breakfast, he could see that Michael was worried too.

'Good morning everyone.' He said cheerfully.

'Morning Devon.' Michael smiled.

'Morning boss.' RC said.

'Good morning Devon.' Jennifer greeted.

'Good morning Mr Miles.' Ashley grinned.

'Did you tell them Ashley?' He asked.

'No, I was just about to.' The others looked at her expectantly. 'Mr Miles found out what my birthday is, the 14 of July.'

'That's great.' Michael smiled warmly at her.

The four of them then began to eat their breakfast, despite the absence of their friend, however about ten minutes after they started Bonnie walked in looking happy and refreshed. She joined them at the table and tucked into the amazing food in front of her, but Michael noticed she was avoiding him.

So that afternoon he cornered her while she was on the semi working on some stuff, as soon as he came in he noticed that she became stiff and uncomfortable, but he was determined to tell her how he felt.

'Hey Bonnie.' He said casually, even though he couldn't have been anymore nervous if he tried.

'Hi Michael.' She replied agitated and he walked over to her. 'What are you doing here?'

'I came to see how you were, why is that bad?'

'No, not at all.' She lied.

'Then why have you been trying to avoid me?'

'I don't know what you're talking about.'

'Oh come on Bonnie you might be good at a lot of things, but lying to me isn't one of them.' He said and he took hold of her hands. 'What's wrong? You can tell me.'