Chapter 8

Disclaimer I don't own Knight Rider I just love it!

Ashley had been enjoying her first day at the new school and before she knew it lunch time had come, she had spent recess getting to know the girls on her table and she was sad that they were all busy with co-curricula activities except for Chloe who was now sitting with her near the classroom wall eating their food. Just when she thought she was going to be accepted here a group of older boys walked up to them.

'Hi.' Chloe gulped.

'Hi.' Ashley said nervously looking up at the boys who were at least a head taller than her and twice the size now that she was sitting down.

'You must be the new girl, what's your name?' The leader asked, he had short black hair and beetle black eyes to match.

'Ashley.' She replied quietly.

'What about your last name, dummy?'

'Knight.' She said proudly, all the boys laughed.

'Knight? A scared little girl like you? That's hilarious, how did you ever get a last name like that?'

'Because it's my fathers last name!' She said angrily standing up, while failing to notice the scared look on Chloe's face.

'Yeah?'

'Yeah!'

'Strange, from what I heard you're an orphan.' He sneered. Ashley's eyes widened, how did he know she had been an orphan? She hadn't told anyone except Michael, Bonnie, Devon and KITT. 'That's right isn't it? Little orphan girl, you probably had to make up your own name because no one cared enough to give you one.'

'That's not true!'

'Really? I bet your parents gave you up because they didn't want you when they saw how pathetic you are.'

'Leaver her alone!' Chloe demanded, but they ignored her and she ran to get her teacher.

'Stay out of it blondie! This is between us and the wimp who's parents thought she was too much of a freak to call their own.'

'How would you know?' Ashley asked growling before she hit him. He then retaliated and pushed her over and she hit her back against the wall.

'That's how I know.' He said shoving her down so she hit the ground with a thud and the boys left. Ashley stayed like that with tears in her eyes and started gently rocking back and forth until Chloe came back with Miss Avery.

'Ashley are you alright?' Miss Avery asked concerned. Ashley didn't even realise she was there, she was in her own world where she was back with the Pitfields listening to their threats and swearing, feeling the beatings she had before Michael had (in her opinion) saved her. Miss Avery managed to get her to Snape out of it and she called Michael to take her home early.

Once he arrived Miss Avery explained to him what Chloe told her about the older boys and that she should probably go home where she could relax. Michael was furious, he wanted to know who would say such nasty things to his daughter who had nothing to deserve their unkindness. Miss Avery promised that the boys would be punished for their actions and Michael brought Ashley home in KITT.

'Are you ok?' He asked embracing her tightly. She nodded and buried her head in his chest and he soon felt her warm tears soak his shirt. Then he brought her back to the car park and helped her get in KITT.

'What's wrong with Ashley?' KITT asked.

'A group of bullies, I'll explain more later pal, for now just get us back to the mansion I think Ashley needs a good night sleep.' Michael said and they drove off.

'So what happened?'

'They started teasing her about her last name and somehow they managed to find out that she used to be an orphan and starting telling her that no one loved her or cared about her.'

'That's a lie, we love her.' KITT said kindly.

'That's right and I just hope she knows that.'

Ashley fell asleep in the passenger seat as they drove, KITT agreed that after the events of the day they young girl needed some sleep so he played some calming music and it worked like a charm along the with the motion of the car. It was only two in the afternoon, but it was obvious just how tired the nine year old had been as only ten minutes down the road she could barely keep her eyes open. Other than the music KITT was playing the majority of the half hour drive was done in silence. When they got back to the mansion Michael carried her inside where Bonnie and Devon were surprised to see them home so early.

'Michael why did you bring her-'

'Shh.' Michael cut Devon off. 'She needs her sleep, it hasn't been a very good afternoon for her.' He explained, encouraging the two of them to lower their voices.

'Maybe you should take her up to bed so she can have a good nap.' Bonnie suggested. Michael shook his head.

'After what her teacher told me I don't want her to wake up and get scared because she is alone.' He said as he walked into the lounge room and sat on one of the lounges. He laid her out on his lap and let her sleep as he told the others what had happened.

'How did they find out that she was an orphan?' Bonnie asked confused.

'I might have mentioned it to the principal.' Devon said sadly.

'Devon! How could you tell them something like that, when you know she keeps it a secret?' Michael had to restrain himself from shouting so as not to wake the sleeping child.

'I thought it would be necessary so things like this wouldn't happen.' He said quietly.

'Now it's probably been around the entire school.' Michael growled internally, he knew his friend was only trying to help, but he wished he hadn't told anyone about that.

'I am truly sorry, Michael.'

'It's ok, it wasn't your fault. Anyway, I think that after this we don't tell anyone about her past unless it's absolutely essential.'

'I agree.' Bonnie nodded. Then a stirring on Michael's lap told them that Ashley was waking up, instead however she rolled over and snuggled into Michael. Bonnie noticed a fatherly glow radiating from Michael as he looked down at his daughter, smiling.

Although she would never admit it to anyone but herself, Bonnie knew she was jealous of whoever had possessed Michael's love and affection enough to have a daughter with him and as much as she knew it would never happen she wished that he would show her that affection.

She had been in love with him for many years now and she was still yet to make a move on him, the reason for this of course was the same every time she thought about it: does he feel the same way? Until she found this out she was never going to risk embarrassing herself so she forced herself to forget it.

Michael noticed Bonnie looking at him and he saw her beautiful brown eyes watching him and Ashley, he loved her and it was clear she liked Ashley. The two of them seemed similar in several ways; Bonnie loved learning, which was one of the many reasons Michael found her attractive and it was obvious Ashley enjoyed learning new things too.

They obviously got on well together from what he had seen over the past month and a bit, so he made up his mind and he was going to ask her out, but first he had to find out if she felt the same way as he did so he decided to wait a while.

Several hours later Ashley woke and she looked up at Michael who smiled and gently ran his fingers through her hair. She knew that those boys at the school had been lying, he loved her and he would never abandon her.

'Good afternoon.' He said quietly.

'Hello.' She replied. 'Sorry for going to sleep.'

'That's alright you deserve it because from what I heard you've had a pretty long day.' He assured her.

'I guess you could say that.' She yawned. 'What time is it?'

'Seven o'clock.' He replied tired.

'Oh ok.' She said and she once again fell asleep on Michael's lap, this time however he took her upstairs and put her to bed. He then said goodnight to the others, including KITT and went to go to sleep in his own bed.