Chapter 5

Disclaimer I don't own Knight Rider.

'So tell me Ashley how old are you?' Michael asked.

'Nine years old.' She replied before going back to licking her strawberry flavoured ice cream.

'So that means you were born in...'

'1976, it says so here.' She showed him a small piece of card and he read it.

Ashley, born July 1976. Please take care of her, until Knight brings her home.

'So whoever gave you to the orphanage knew who you were.' Michael reasoned while eating his vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

'Yes, but how could anyone know who I was if you didn't know?'

'Your mother would know, but that leads us to another problem, I don't know who your mother is.' He sighed frustrated.

'You really don't know?'

'No.' Michael said and they slipped into an awkward silence until he spoke again. 'So, what do you like to do?'

'I like reading, running and swimming.'

'So you're pretty athletic.'

'Inherited from you no doubt.' She smiled.

'Of course.'

'What about you? What do you like to do?'

'Well I like, running, swimming, rock music, helping people and putting criminals behind bars.'

'So what actually are you? You're not a cop, are you?' Ashley asked confused.

'No, I'm not a cop. I work for the Foundation for Law and Government, so do Devon and Bonnie.'

'Ok, what about KITT? When he told me his name he said it was the Knight Industries...Something, something.'

'The Knight Industries Two Thousand.' Michael finished.

'Yeah, so what's the story with that? Do you own Knight Industries?' She asked, Michael laughed.

'No, it was started by my........Father, Wilton Knight, sadly he passed away several years ago and my.......Sister, Jennifer Knight, is now the head of the board of directors.' Michael explained. However it didn't escape Ashley's noticed the way he paused before mentioning his father and sister which made her curious, but she didn't press the issue.

'I see.' She nodded then Michael's comlink beeped.

''What is it KITT?' Michael asked.

'Devon wants us back at the mansion.' The AI replied.

'Alright we're coming.' Michael replied and they both got up and left the ice cream parlour.

Once they were inside KITT and they were back on the road again Michael asked KITT to call Devon. Within a matter of seconds the face of Devon Miles appeared on KITT's monitor.

'Yo Devon! Why do you want to see us?' Michael asked.

'Michael, the Foundation has received word that Gordon Baxter is looking for you and we need to talk about further precautions with Ashley.' Devon replied.

'Alright Devon, see you soon.' He said and ended the call.

'I remember that name...' Ashley trailed off.

'He's the chameleon.' Michael explained.

'Do you think Tonie might know where he is?' KITT asked.

'Maybe, either way it's a starting place.' Michael agreed as they sped toward the FLAG mansion.

'Why is this guy looking for you?' Ashley asked.

'Well let's just say, he's not my biggest fan.' Michael replied not wanting her to worry.

It wasn't long after that they arrived back at their home, KITT parked in his garage and Michael and Ashley went to see Devon. Devon was sitting in his office, behind his desk as usual when they walked in and he looked worried.

'What's all this about?' Michael asked as he and Ashley took a seat. 'We decided that Ashley wouldn't leave the mansion without someone with her, what else do we need to discuss?'

'She starts school in a few days and we've got to be careful, with Baxter looking for you.'

'I know, but no one except the people who live here no that she is my daughter and if we keep, it that way we'll be fine I'm sure.'

'Michael?' Ashley asked quietly.

'Yes?'

'What about my last name?' She asked.

'I don't know. What do you think Devon?'

'Yes that could pose as a problem. I don't think that giving her the Knight name is a good idea.'

'Why not?' She asked confused.

'If someone had a grudge against your father and found you they could use you to get to him.' Devon explained. 'So I think staying with your old name-'

'I won't stay as Pitfield.' Ashley cut in.

'My dear it might be the only choice.' Devon tried to reason.

'No.' She shook her head.

'Then what other option is there?' Michael asked.

'She could use my last name.' The three of them turned to see Bonnie's standing in the door way shrugging.

'I don't know, you're known to a lot of people, Bonnie.' Devon sighed as Bonnie walked over. The adults continued the discussion and things started to get a bit loud, so Ashley slipped out of the room to get away from the chaos and went to see KITT.

He was parked in the garage just as they had left him and as she walked in she heard the familiar sound of his scanner moving back and forth. She walked over and gently grabbed the handle on his driver side door.

'Hello Ashley.' KITT greeted her.

'Hi KITT.' She sighed.

'What's wrong?' He asked concerned.

'Mr Miles won't let me use Michael's last name.' She said grumpily.

'Why not?'

'He thinks it might put me in danger.' She rolled her eyes.

'Well he might be right especially with- Hold on...' He trailed off. 'Michael!'

'Yeah pal?' Michael's voice came over the speaker.

'I've picked up a police frequency and I've discovered that the Chameleon has gone back to Tonie's house.'

'I'm on my way pal.' Michael said and the next thing they heard he was dashing into the garage just as Ashley was getting out of KITT. Michael gave Ashley a quick hug and got in KITT, then they two of them raced out of the garage, down the driveway and out the front gates.