Chapter 29

After a while Ashlyn decided to come back inside and wash her hands before seeing if she could find a snack, she then grabbed an apple out of the fruit bowl and rinsed it under a tap before biting into it. She smiled as she heard the crunch and tasted the delicious sweetness before chewing it up and swallowing it.

She took it back to her room to finish eating it, on the way she thought about everything they had done at school and how much fun she was having with Ruth and by the time she reached her room she was grinning from ear to ear. She was soon surprised as her comlink beeped just as she was sitting down on her bed.

'Hello?' She asked into it.

'Hey sweetheart how are you?' It was Bonnie.

'Hi Bonnie!' She almost squealed, it felt good to talk to her friend again even though it felt weird knowing that her friend was also her mother that no one else (except KITT and possibly Amber) knew about. 'I'm good, how are you?'

'I'm great, so are Devon, RC and Michael.'

'What's been going on?'

'Not much; we've all been missing you like crazy though, the place has been so quiet since you left.' The two of them laughed.

'I miss you all too.' She replied. 'Oh, guess what? I've started martial arts classes and I'm now going with my new friend, her name's Ruth and she's really nice!'

'I'm glad to hear that.'

The two of them chatted for ages and Devon and Michael joined the conversation after explaining that RC was unfortunately busy working on something, but they refused to tell her exactly what for fear they would make her worry. Just as Ashlyn was beginning to feel like she was home again a voice interrupted their conversation.

'Kids, it's time for dinner!' Jackson called.

'Aw man, looks like I've gotta go, bye.' Ashlyn said dejectedly.

'Bye Ashlyn.' Bonnie replied.

'Take care.' Devon bid her goodbye.

'Bye Ash, talk to you soon.' Michael said and the conversation was finished.

Ashlyn went to dinner with the rest of her "family" once again making sure to sit next to Mathew and have as little as possible to do with Hailey, who was ignoring her, which made her pretty happy. However the conversation left a lot to be desired.

'So how was school?' Teagan asked.

'It was good.' Mathew replied.

'That's good, what about you Ashlyn? Are you settling in?' Jackson asked.

'Yeah, it's great.....'

'I hope you are helping your sister, Hailey.' He said narrowing his eyes slightly.

'Of course Daddy.' She smiled in her sickly sweet way. Ashlyn shook her head, she was such a liar! The only thing Hailey had helped her do was carry her books and even that was begrudgingly.

'Good.' He nodded. 'What about you Mathew? Showing Ashlyn the ropes, aren't we?'

'Yes Dad.' He nodded while shoving spaghetti bowl in his mouth.

'Mathew, don't talk with food in your mouth.' Teagan disciplined him.

'Sorry.' He grinned sheepishly after swallowing his last mouthful.

'Anyway, what days are your sports on kids?' Jackson asked.

'Netball training's on Wednesday and Thursday.' Hailey replied.