Chapter 27

'Do you like Whitewater Prep?' Ruth asked as they ate in the playground.

'Yeah, how long have you been here?'

'I only started last term.' She replied sheepishly.

'I never would have guessed, I thought you'd been here since kindergarten.'

'Nah, I used to go to Lakeside Public School and unfortunately it's not far from here.'

'Why is that unfortunate?' Ashlyn asked confused.

'Lakeside Public School is Whitewater Prep's main rival, they used to go to functions at each other's campus until things got tighter and Lakeside Public started loosing students. They've been fighting ever since.'

'Oh.'

'Yeah and now a lot of my old friends think I betrayed them and don't talk to me anymore.' She sighed.

Ashlyn felt sorry for her new friend and she couldn't help wondering which was worse: your friends ignoring you and feeling like you betrayed them or your friends believing that you're dead?

At this time Michael had taken Bonnie out to a diner that wasn't too far from the mansion and the two of them were eating and just generally enjoying each other's company.

'So is it that bad that you don't get to chase the bad guy yourself this time?' She asked quirking an eyebrow.

'Well now that you mention it, this is indeed much more interesting.' He smirked.

'I should hope it would be.'

'So, what incredible new systems have you been working on for KITT?'

'Well, I haven't been able to create anything concrete, but I'm working towards getting an extra 15% percent increase in speed and 20% increase in scanner range.'

'20%?' He asked amazed. She nodded. 'Wow, KITT will be happy.'

'Nothing will be as major as the updates I installed the last time we rebuilt KITT.'

'Well you did an extraordinary job when you did that.' He smiled.

'I wasn't alone when we did that, I had tonnes of help from RC and his friends that worked on rebuilding KITT, I only did his systems.' She said embarrassed.

'True and you're welcome. Now let's talk about something other than work.' He suggested.

'Like what?'

'Um....'

'Yeah, we've worked together for years and that's basically all we've done together. Now that we have time to talk all we have to talk about is work.'

'Well now we can change that. So what do you do in your spare time while I'm off chasing criminals?'

'Normally I read or do extra research.'

'Don't you ever get out? Don't you have other girl friends that you can go out with?'

'No.' She brushed it off.

'We need to get you a social life.'

After school Ashlyn, Ruth and the other kids who had signed up for martial arts walked to the place where it was being held. When they went in they found a room filled with gym mats, punching bags, they noticed that the walls of the room were padded and Ashlyn assumed that was to prevent any accidental injuries or damages to the building.

'Hey guys.' They looked to the back of the room where a young woman with curly brown hair and light blue eyes was standing waiting for them. 'I'm Miss Amber K. Karr K., but please call me Amber. And you all are?' She looked them each over with a rather warm friendly smile, though seemed more interested in the one called Ashlyn.

'I'm Fabiana, but everyone calls me Fabi.'

'My name's Nick.'

'James.'

'I'm Ruth.'

'Name's Luis.'

'Ashlyn.'

'Nice to meet you all.' Amber smiled softly, then approached Ashlyn kneeling down some. She saw that her shirt had slipped off her shoulder just enough so that she could see a mark she knew to be a bullet wound on the young girls shoulder. 'How are you? Take it easy with that shoulder. Don't worry I'm somewhat of a nurse myself.'

Ashlyn realised what she had seen and swiftly covered her "scar" pointing an icy glare at her new teacher, indicating that she had no desire to talk about it and had absolutely no desire to be treated any differently for it. Amber then got up to start lessons, teaching them for the remainder of the class.

When it was over, she called out to Ashlyn. 'Oh, Ashlyn. Could you come here a sec? I have something for you.' Amber had been going through her bag and pulled out a rather beaten looking small box, which she skimmed through what looked like papers that had been damaged in a variety of ways.

Ashlyn walked over, feeling a mix of curiosity and uncertainty. This new teacher seemed to be a little more interested in her than the other students and it made her nervous. Her day had been good and the lesson even better, but she knew just how quickly a good day could turn horrible.

'What is it?' She asked.

'I believe you should have these.' Amber handed her an old faded photo, and a paper. 'Me and a... 'friend' saved these from getting trashed.' She laughed a little at the "grump" sound which appeared to be coming from her own comlink-disguised-as-a-watch, giving a sidewards smile to Ashlyn.

'Thank you.' She replied looking at them. She noted that the paper looked like her birth certificate and while it seemed unedited, it was difficult to read. She looked confused at her new teacher before making a quick exit and walking home.

'Hey Ashlyn, how was school?' Teagan asked.

'It was great, I made a new friend and I've started martial arts class, it's after school every Monday and Thursday.' She explained.

'Good to hear.' The woman smiled and Ashlyn hurried into her bedroom. Her "parents" had promised to start fixing it up this coming weekend and she was looking forward to it. For now though, she flopped on her bed and stared at the things her martial arts teacher had handed her. The photo was to damaged to make out properly and the document wasn't very clear, however she could just make out her mother's name on this copy.

'Bonnie Barstow?' She read aloud then promptly fainted.

-/-/-

Hello everyone! Lexa here! I hope you aren't too grumpy with me for doing a rewrite! I'm sorry that this is taking so long, but I thought there were a few things I would change. Anyway, I need to give some credit out now to my partner, Decrosse. She is responsible for letting me use her OC Amber! She has an account on Fanfiction.net so why don't you go and check her out? Well that's all for this chapter! Bye!