Chapter 31

After a little while Ashlyn started getting into a routine, everyday she walked to school with her siblings, then spent most of the day with Mathew and/or Ruth then on Mondays and Thursdays she had martial arts and after class on the Thursday she went over to Amber's house.

So as she established a pattern in her life the weeks soon began to pass at a slightly faster rate, not that Ashlyn thought so as she got up and dusted herself off after Hailey's latest attempt to embarrass her which had involved pushing her too hard on the swings and she had come off, landing hface-first into the sand pit.

She growled as she walked to the bathroom to wash the sand off her face, Hailey had gone to far this time, she could still hear the laughter of everyone in the playground in her head, even the teachers had been smirking subtly at the scene.  She wanted revenge against her wicked stepsister, however she had no idea how to get it.  She leaned over the sink and splashed some water over her face and jumped as she heard someone talk to her from behind.

'Don't let it get to you.'  Ashlyn looked into the mirror and saw Ruth staring back at her.

'I'm not.'  She shook her head.

'Are you sure?'  Her friend asked quirking an eyebrow.

'Ok, maybe I am a bit angry.'

'Just a bit?'

'Ok a lot.  Why does she hate me so much?'

'Well, Hailey is probably the most popular girl in the grade, everyone likes her, especially the teachers and she probably sees you as a threat to that.'  She reasoned.

'But why?  I'm the new girl, the one who doesn't fit in, the one who awkwardly stands in doorways waiting to be noticed, the one who gets lost on the way to the classroom and is constantly late.  Why would she pick on me when she knows how much I depend on her to teach me the ropes of life around here?'

'That's just it, I don't think you are that girl.  You do fit in, you don't stand around waiting to be noticed, you just go ahead and do what is asked of you.  You've only gotten lost twice in five days!  You don't depend on Hailey as much as you think you do.'

'You might be right, but that doesn't mean that I'm a threat to her popularity.'

'She probably thinks it does.'

'Hmph.  Well she can think whatever she wants.'

'Exactly, she'll eventually see that she is wrong and will stop being mean to you.  Who knows, maybe you'll even learn to like each other.'

'Ha!  I am really doubting that right now.'

'You never know.'  She shrugged.  'Just so long as you're not upset, anyway.'

'Well, as an acquaintance of mine used to say "don't get mad, get even!" Ashlyn grinned rather wickedly.

'Oh no, you aren't going to try and get back at her, are you?'

'I don't know.  Maybe....'

'Don't do it! You'll only lower yourself to her level and get yourself into trouble!'

'You might have a point....  Still, if she does this one more time I swear I will kill her!' She threatened before walking out of the bathroom and heading straight to her next class, anxious to avoid the playground and the humiliation that people would no doubt remind her of.

Normally at this point she would go and find somewhere quiet and secluded and call KITT or her real father, but not today. She knew there was nothing they could do about it, so why bother wasting their time as well as hers? So instead she went to her bag, collected her maths book and pencil case then went to her class.

Outside she could still hear the other kids laughing and playing and the young girl just couldn't stop the torrent of vengeful thoughts that washed into her mind. Especially when she walked past a bunch of girls that were hanging around near their bags and they giggled madly as she went past.

She tried to be the adult, she tried to just ignore them, but when she finally came to her own classroom and heard someone retelling what had happened, adding their own lies in, she just couldn't take it!  Something had to be done in order to put Hailey in her place!  The only question was what?

Meanwhile Michael had been trying to take his mind off how quiet and.... Empty the mansion seemed without the young girl running about the house and coming to talk to everyone about what they were doing and how she'd been doing at school with her studies and her friends.... And that was another thing that had been on his mind too, had she been able to really make friends at her new school? And was she making friends with her new siblings? He certainly hoped so.

But unfortunately he had no way of knowing until Ash called him, because he wasn't allowed to call her in case she wasn't alone and someone questioned her about the comlink. So it worried him that she hadn't called in such a long time, after all it had been almost a month since they had last talked and as much as he tried to convince himself that everything was alright, he just couldn't. He needed to see her again and soon.

So what did he do? He went and asked Devon of course.

'Devon?'  He asked standing at the door to his bosses office.

'Come in Michael.'  The Englishman nodded watching as the younger man walked in and stood casually in front of him.  'What can I do for you?'

'Well....  I need to go and see Ashley.'

'Michael....'  He warned.

'You said that the board stated I was allowed to go and see her once a month, yes?'

'Yes, but you aren't meant to go for another four days so that is exactly one month.'  He explained.

'Oh what's four days here and there, Devon?  Come on, I need to see her!'

'Michael if we don't do what the board instructs then they might cut your privileges all together and you won't be allowed to see her at all.'

'Privileges?  Devon, she's my daughter!  I have a right to see her!'  He replied his temper starting to get the best of him.

'I know and I agree with you, but I'm afraid the board has their own ideas and despite Jennifer's and my best efforts they won't change their minds.'

'Typical, just because they don't approve of my methods of doing my job they decide to take it out on my daughter!  I'd like to see what happened if their children were taken from them and how fast they would change their minds to have them back or at least get to spend time with them!'  He fumed angrily.

'Please calm down Michael. I know you want to see Ashley, and you will! But please just wait the extra few days.' The younger man nodded sighing.

'Alright Devon, I will wait.'

'Good.' He nodded. 'Thank you, I know this is hard for you.'

'I just miss her so much and I hate not knowing what is going on with her.'

'I understand, just remember that you will see her again soon and I promise that you will get to visit her.'

'Thank you Devon.' He replied then left.